• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty all nite

abennett

Hi,
I have a 5 month old black and tan boy (Teddy). I have been reading this list since before we got him. I was hoping for any ideas or even this is normal type responses. Teddy has been create trained since he came home with us at 10 weeks. He eats dinner at 5pm and has been on the same food. Since the day he came home he has been sleeping in the create just fine. Pottying before bed at 10 pm and sleeping without a peep untill 5:30 or six. Well the past week he has been getting up at 12:40, and 3 am. Crying loudly and scratching the create door. I will go and let him out and he pees and poos. Then I put him back create. His poop seems normal, not loose or hard. My six year old would like to add he is really cuddly. :)
sleepless but well cuddled in Ausitn, TX

I think he is mainly doing this for attention. I'd be inclined not to respond -- if he has lasted all night before there's no real reason he should need to be getting up now unless he has a urinary tract infection that is making him have to go, or he is eating a lot in the evening -- treats or whetever -- after his 5 pm meal (make sure he isn;t getting any food after that point -- at most a very small treat).

More likely he is busy training you to come interact with him whenever he wakes up in the middle of the night. If you have any concern that this could be medical, have him checked. Otherwise, I'd buy some earplugs and start to totally ignore this. Probably he will give up after anywhere from a couple days to two weeks and you can sleep thru the night again.

I agree and both disagree with Karlin.
Often I think you have to ride these things out and ignore the behaviuor as suggested so it does not become an attention seeking exercise but.............. If when you do take him to the loo he is going then I don't really agree with ignoring him as he obviously does need to go ?

If/when you do take him to the loo during the night I would have as little stimulation as possible, don't talk to him or look at him and try not to let him get excited. (easier said than done I know)

My approach would be to let the dog bellow for 15 minutes before going out. If he does a big pee and/or poo then I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but if it is just a token gesture, then I would get the ear plugs.

I wake my guys up just before I go to bed {evil mummy}, and I make them all go out to the toilet. This is usually around 11:30 - midnight (I am a night owl). They will then sleep through till either I get up or if I am sleeping in, till about 8:00 am.

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this, but it could help to take up his water bowl at some given time during the evening, so he isn't getting a water load before going to bed.

UPDATE! Potty all nite

Thanks to everyone who replied. Teddy slept thru the night last night!! I have not idea what worked b/c I did 3 things differently.
1. I took him for a looong walk at about 7:30pm. He did poop twice on this walk. He was really tired afterwards.
2. I put our lab next to him in her create. Ususally she sleeps with my 11 yr old as she is potty trained. We have a create for her b/c she knws how to steal food when we are out.(another post) :roll:
3. I shut the childrens doors and our bedroom door so the children would not hear him and go let him out.
I did not hear a peep and he had no accident in the create. I don't know if this was b/c of the walk or the company but I am just gald something worked. I would not mind him sleeping with us but he is not 100% on his don't go in the house. I hope we can keep the trend up all week.
Thanks again for the suggestions!
Sleeping in Austin!! :sl*p:

I read your post and was just about to respond with "if you are already not feeding past 5pm then perhaps since he is older he needs less sleep and to try a good play or walk before 10". And there you updated you had done that! It also might be the company of your other dog. Tell your six yr old your puppy is not just cuddly but sounds CUTE TOO!

Back