Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hide and seek.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hide and seek.

We played hide and seek in training classes today. I loved it. I'm not brave enough to let Dylan off the lead but in this outdoor class, there is not way of escape so I really enjoy it with no worry.

The trainer told me if Dylan didn't come back to me then she was keeping him!

Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fun game to play indoors too! I'm pretty sure Dylan will be going home with you at the end of the class.
    Laura (Momma to Riley, 3 yr. old male)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How do you play it in your class?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's so sweet! Your trainer must adore Dylan as much as we all do!!

I want to hear how it is played too ... sounds so fun!
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes very interested to know how it's played.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we train on grass inside a school court yard or quadrant. There's no way of escape. There are a few trees, a shed, a wendy house and tractor tires. We hid in or behind those. The trainer holds our dogs facing her and distracts them while we run away!! We hide one at a time then call our dogs. It's really fun and very funny when the dog can't find the owner. The point of the exercise is to show us that our dogs want to come back to us and if they run off, it's better to make them chase you. Never chase your dog, he'll run off.

I'm not brave enough to let Dylan off lead so I love doing it in this safe place. She does suggest finding a tennis court to practice recall.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like really great fun; and a great class! Mike and I have started doing this with Bianca after our 5 pm walk; one of us hides around the corner of the house and yells, "Bianca!!' She tears off in search of us and runs straight into our arms! Truth is, I know she loves it but I think we get evn more enjoyment out of it than she does... -Natalie
    Barkleigh Bianca’s mom and dad

Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree with everything she does but it is a good class. In the top class, you can call your dog and he comes running and you give the down command and he drops on the spot. Good for emergencies. She goes up to Gold in the Canine Good Citicen Award. I wonder if we will ever get that
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

We played a similar game in our class to demonstrate return as well. There is no place to hide in ours, so she has one person stand across the room from their dog while someone else holds it - two dogs do this at the same time. Then they drop the leash and the 2 owners call their dogs and see if they run to them or get distracted with the other dogs.

In our class I was sort of surprised at some of the responses. For instance, Kodee is about middle in obedience training but her personality is on the shy side with other dogs - she ran straight back. Where as a lot of the really well-behaved dogs that do their lessons to perfection choose to go off and visit the other dogs.

The instructor said it was the one exercise that showed how well you bonded with your dog or how much they looked up to you as a leader opposed to how well trained they are. Personally I think it was more about the more trained dogs being confident therefore felt more comfortable wandering off rather than listening. Which explains I guess why when they are older we cant depend on them being completely trained and must continue to work on recall all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree about keeping up the training with recall. It's a shame you can't find anything to hide behind in your class as this really is a different lesson. You can do it at home though as Laura and Natalie mentioned. I'd give Kodee credit where it's due, it is a lot to do with bonding and obedience. Well done Kodee
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'