• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hide and seek.

*Pauline*

We played hide and seek in training classes today. I loved it. I'm not brave enough to let Dylan off the lead but in this outdoor class, there is not way of escape so I really enjoy it with no worry.

The trainer told me if Dylan didn't come back to me then she was keeping him!

:dogwlk:

That's a fun game to play indoors too! :D I'm pretty sure Dylan will be going home with you at the end of the class. ;)

That's so sweet! Your trainer must adore Dylan as much as we all do!!

I want to hear how it is played too ... sounds so fun!

Well, we train on grass inside a school court yard or quadrant. There's no way of escape. There are a few trees, a shed, a wendy house and tractor tires. We hid in or behind those. The trainer holds our dogs facing her and distracts them while we run away!! We hide one at a time then call our dogs. It's really fun and very funny when the dog can't find the owner. The point of the exercise is to show us that our dogs want to come back to us and if they run off, it's better to make them chase you. Never chase your dog, he'll run off.

I'm not brave enough to let Dylan off lead so I love doing it in this safe place. She does suggest finding a tennis court to practice recall.

That sounds like really great fun; and a great class! Mike and I have started doing this with Bianca after our 5 pm walk; one of us hides around the corner of the house and yells, "Bianca!!' She tears off in search of us and runs straight into our arms! Truth is, I know she loves it but I think we get evn more enjoyment out of it than she does... :flwr: -Natalie

I don't agree with everything she does but it is a good class. In the top class, you can call your dog and he comes running and you give the down command and he drops on the spot. Good for emergencies. She goes up to Gold in the Canine Good Citicen Award. I wonder if we will ever get that icon_whistling

We played a similar game in our class to demonstrate return as well. There is no place to hide in ours, so she has one person stand across the room from their dog while someone else holds it - two dogs do this at the same time. Then they drop the leash and the 2 owners call their dogs and see if they run to them or get distracted with the other dogs.

In our class I was sort of surprised at some of the responses. For instance, Kodee is about middle in obedience training but her personality is on the shy side with other dogs - she ran straight back. Where as a lot of the really well-behaved dogs that do their lessons to perfection choose to go off and visit the other dogs.

The instructor said it was the one exercise that showed how well you bonded with your dog or how much they looked up to you as a leader opposed to how well trained they are. Personally I think it was more about the more trained dogs being confident therefore felt more comfortable wandering off rather than listening. Which explains I guess why when they are older we cant depend on them being completely trained and must continue to work on recall all the time.

I agree about keeping up the training with recall. It's a shame you can't find anything to hide behind in your class as this really is a different lesson. You can do it at home though as Laura and Natalie mentioned. I'd give Kodee credit where it's due, it is a lot to do with bonding and obedience. Well done Kodee :D

We've always done this in woodlands with our Cavaliers - making it very easy to start with, and then harder for them to find you - it's a brilliant exercise for teaching them to always be aware of where you are and to come and find you, rather than the other way around.

Since he's been feeling better, TedBear runs around all over the place, but he ALWAYS knows where I am, I've tested him quite often and either walked on from where he last saw me, or hidden - he finds me immediately.

*Pauline* said:
I agree about keeping up the training with recall. It's a shame you can't find anything to hide behind in your class as this really is a different lesson. You can do it at home though as Laura and Natalie mentioned. I'd give Kodee credit where it's due, it is a lot to do with bonding and obedience. Well done Kodee :D
Our trainer suggested taking your dogs to a neighbours backyard where everything is new and calling them or a tennies court or kindergarten fenced play area to practice. Now that the nice weather is here and finally her shots are done plus the 2 wks wait... I AM FREE TO TAKE HER TO PARKS :jump: and look for places to practice!

Back