Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dylan's slippers, trainer says trim them!

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dylan's slippers, trainer says trim them!

Dylan's trainer told me his slippers needed trimming I told her they shouldn't be trimmed and she insisted a groomer would trim them neat and round. Well I know she's wrong but I didn't argue. I wish she wouldn't go on about grooming! I'm expecting her to bring it up next week and I'm thinking maybe between the pads could be trimmed to keep her happy but I like him untouched! I asked my breeder what she thought, she said she'd be thrown out of the ring if she trimmed the feet but that I could do the pads.

I know some of you trim your dogs feet and that's fine but I want to see Dylan in full coat and if it became a problem, then I'd trim them.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

She doesn't know what she is talking about, nor what evil she is asking you to perform.

I cannot imagine why a dog would even need the hair between his pads trimmed for a normal obedience class unless they are excessivley long -- for agility maybe, on a slippery floor, but most agility classes are held on softer unslippery floors anyway...

You can ask a groomer to take out the hair between the pads or do it yourself, but to leave the long hair between their toes and on top of their feet, that grows outward to form the slippers, alone!

I love their long slippers. Lily had great slippers but the groomer gave her those cat feet, shaved down, despite my clear instructions not to trim anything but to even out her coat on her body. It has taken four months for them to sprout again.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree....the slippers must stay! They are so cute and besides, it's a Cavalier thing!
    ~Renee, Bentley & Bailey & Maddie

Post Thanks / Like

Just be blunt and tell her your there for training not grooming and your preference is to keep them long, however if she can provide you with a reason as to how it affects the training you may consider it.
    Luvzcavs xx
    Harry (tri) and Digby (blen).

Post Thanks / Like

I'd tell her to stick to her profession - training The Cavalier Slippers are what I fell in love with first. To me its a main thing that makes them unique.

Post Thanks / Like

how can she force it to you though ? hmmm..

i do personally trim it, because i live in a small apartment, and i like to keep it clean.. Cherrise goes 3x or more to the park per day, and i don't have the strength to wash her feets more than twice a day ! but if i have the choice to keep it, i definitely would! it's the cutest thingg ...

by the way, your boy looks so cute and cozy in your pic!
    Lin. proud owner of baby Cherrise, Blenheim princess, 11.5 months and baby Hope, Pomeranian princess, 10.5 months.. !

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your replies, you know me, it's hard for me to speak up, I'm a bit shy! I won't be trimming him ever if I can manage the grooming myself. Dylan's dad has a wonderful long coat, his mum has a shorter coat and it's my guess he will follow his dad. I'm really enjoying watching his feathers come in, especially his tail becoming swishy!
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love how puppy tails start to unfurl. All that hair is twisted around the tail then suddenly it begins to hang down then grow out. It seemed to take forever to start with jaspar (the only one I had from puppyhood).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

i know!!!! i couldnt wait for jadans tail to come into its glory we have a black tan ckcs he plays with in the park and she always had a tail i was very envious of, but now j has caught up i couldnt be more proud. he was taken to the groomers recently and came back looking like a little lamb he was shaved back sooo hard but at least they kept his tail
    my mummy lurrrrves me!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pauline,

Tell her to check out the breed standard and tell her that you would have through an approved trainer should at least know some of the features of one of the most popular adn WELL KNOWN dogs in the world.

Give her some .........

Ignorant woman that she is.

Sorry..... rant over
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)