• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan's slippers, trainer says trim them!

*Pauline*

Dylan's trainer told me his slippers needed trimming :yikes I told her they shouldn't be trimmed and she insisted a groomer would trim them neat and round. Well I know she's wrong but I didn't argue. I wish she wouldn't go on about grooming! I'm expecting her to bring it up next week and I'm thinking maybe between the pads could be trimmed to keep her happy but I like him untouched! I asked my breeder what she thought, she said she'd be thrown out of the ring if she trimmed the feet but that I could do the pads.

I know some of you trim your dogs feet and that's fine but I want to see Dylan in full coat and if it became a problem, then I'd trim them.

She doesn't know what she is talking about, nor what evil she is asking you to perform. :lol:

I cannot imagine why a dog would even need the hair between his pads trimmed for a normal obedience class unless they are excessivley long -- for agility maybe, on a slippery floor, but most agility classes are held on softer unslippery floors anyway...

You can ask a groomer to take out the hair between the pads or do it yourself, but to leave the long hair between their toes and on top of their feet, that grows outward to form the slippers, alone!

I love their long slippers. Lily had great slippers but the groomer gave her those cat feet, shaved down, despite my clear instructions not to trim anything but to even out her coat on her body. :( It has taken four months for them to sprout again.

I agree....the slippers must stay! They are so cute and besides, it's a Cavalier thing!

Just be blunt and tell her your there for training not grooming and your preference is to keep them long, however if she can provide you with a reason as to how it affects the training you may consider it.

I'd tell her to stick to her profession - training :lol: The Cavalier Slippers are what I fell in love with first. To me its a main thing that makes them unique.

how can she force it to you though ? hmmm..

i do personally trim it, because i live in a small apartment, and i like to keep it clean.. Cherrise goes 3x or more to the park per day, and i don't have the strength to wash her feets more than twice a day ! but if i have the choice to keep it, i definitely would! it's the cutest thingg ... :)

by the way, your boy looks so cute and cozy in your pic!

Thank you for your replies, you know me, it's hard for me to speak up, I'm a bit shy! I won't be trimming him ever if I can manage the grooming myself. Dylan's dad has a wonderful long coat, his mum has a shorter coat and it's my guess he will follow his dad. I'm really enjoying watching his feathers come in, especially his tail becoming swishy! :D

I love how puppy tails start to unfurl. All that hair is twisted around the tail then suddenly it begins to hang down then grow out. :) It seemed to take forever to start with jaspar (the only one I had from puppyhood).

i know!!!! i couldnt wait for jadans tail to come into its glory :p we have a black tan ckcs he plays with in the park and she always had a tail i was very envious of, but now j has caught up i couldnt be more proud. :D :D he was taken to the groomers recently and came back looking like a little lamb he was shaved back sooo hard :yikes :( but at least they kept his tail :flwr:

Pauline,

Tell her to check out the breed standard and tell her that you would have through an approved trainer should at least know some of the features of one of the most popular adn WELL KNOWN dogs in the world.

Give her some .........

Ignorant woman that she is.

Sorry..... rant over

I used to trim Jakes feet because he would get prickles stuck in them... but that was practical... unless your training him on a newly buffed marble floor why would it matter?
What a strange remark to make from a trainer i'm stumped :|

*Pauline* said:
Thank you for your replies, you know me, it's hard for me to speak up, I'm a bit shy! I won't be trimming him ever if I can manage the grooming myself. Dylan's dad has a wonderful long coat, his mum has a shorter coat and it's my guess he will follow his dad. I'm really enjoying watching his feathers come in, especially his tail becoming swishy! :D

Might I suggest you take a couple of pictures of show Cavs in the ring? Sporting their beautiful slippers? Just tell her you want Dylan to look like his dad!

BarbMazz said:
Might I suggest you take a couple of pictures of show Cavs in the ring? Sporting their beautiful slippers? Just tell her you want Dylan to look like his dad!

There is another cavalier in the class, a big fella who is one year old with slippers. She trims his pads but you can't tell and nothing was said to her.

Pauline

The same thing was said to me by Darby's trainer, I just kindly informed her that they are not to be trimmed. Topic closed, I don't think she knew enough about the breed to make such a statement.

I love Darby's slippers and I will never trim them. :D :D :D :D

I have always trimmed under my boys' paws, as it reduces the treading in of mud. They seem to like it (afterwards, though not at the time), I think because they feel the texture of what they are walking on.

Izzy had very long slippers (over 2") and my trainer suggested trimming them (He was a friend and thought they looked tatty). I did eventually start trimming them and found they 'naturalised', within a few days, to look like the others' were anyway. he always seemed to like it and walked with more confidence.

Perhaps we should have a tail photo thread ?

icon_whistling I have both of my guys paws trimmed to rabbit's feet. I love the long slippers but don't care for the maintenance involved. That said...I'm considering growing their coats out completely and only doing a sanitary trim. We'll see.

Ignore her Pauline, he's your dog, she seems to have far to many opinions on his appearance and he's just beautiful.....I reckon she's jealous ;)

She could be jealous, she's always saying she's going to take him home with her! She does really like him. :roll:

If I was doing agility-- I would partially trim the slippers. I have a male that grows 5 inches of slipper hair. I have known judges that believe that cavalier feet should be trimmed. I told the judge-- you don't trim cavaliers-- he said you do if they don't look perfect.

5 inches is quite something, wow! You can see from my avatar that they are not that long. They are more of a pointed pixie boot now than a slipper!

Back