• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spay before or after first heat

Thanks for all the replies.
Have decided to get it done before she comes into first heat, better safe than sorry!

I've booked her in for this Friday morning. I'm nervous for her already :(

Note: pyometra isn't a disease only in older bitches. Milly, belonging to Anita ( a member on here) nearly died from it when well under a year old.

I guess we are all just differently experienced. To me, this is no big deal-- raising daughters was harder-- working as a teacher in a day care was much harder. Giving birth was 1000 times more difficult. Housetraining a pup is much harder. Doing our taxes (about 80 pages of forms) is harder. learning how to drive a stick shift was harder. dissecting a fetal pig was much harder.

Sandy, I'm sure that managing breeding dogs does get to be old hat after you've got a system figured out and have been through it a few times! But I still admire you breeders who are skilled at keeping several dogs separated (and calm???) during heat cycles without totally disrupting family life. You probably have places you put them where they essentially stay for the duration? From everything I read about dogs who will travel miles and scale six-foot fences to get to a female, I just can't imagine what it would be like to have all those hormones (male and female) going under one roof! (or even on one property!) :lol:

Mom_of_2_Cavies said:
I guess we are all just differently experienced. To me, this is no big deal-- raising daughters was harder-- working as a teacher in a day care was much harder. Giving birth was 1000 times more difficult. Housetraining a pup is much harder. Doing our taxes (about 80 pages of forms) is harder. learning how to drive a stick shift was harder. dissecting a fetal pig was much harder.

Sandy, I'm sure that managing breeding dogs does get to be old hat after you've got a system figured out and have been through it a few times! But I still admire you breeders who are skilled at keeping several dogs separated (and calm???) during heat cycles without totally disrupting family life. You probably have places you put them where they essentially stay for the duration? From everything I read about dogs who will travel miles and scale six-foot fences to get to a female, I just can't imagine what it would be like to have all those hormones (male and female) going under one roof! (or even on one property!) :lol:

It is never old hat--LOL. I have daughters who bring friends in the house. They open doors, gates etc... I have a hubby who (Bless him) tries to help. I try to have three layers of separation between a girl in season and the boys. That way when someone opens a gate or leaves a door open-- I don't have an accidental breeding.
Males are only "crazed" when they can tell a female is receptive (about LH surge on)--for about a week.

I guess so long as the worst of it generally lasts only about a week, it's manageable--with those extra layers of protection to guard against mistakes. :yikes I guess it all keeps you sharp and on your toes. :)

Hi all,

Just to let ye know Millie was in surgery this morning and the vet rang to say she's fine.

She was supposed to have been fasting since 6pm yesterday but got up this morning and a gone off pork chop had gone missing from bin! :oops:
the vet said it would have been fine though.

When i brought her in this morning the girl that was there said they weren't sure if the vet would do it because she was small but he did in the end anyway.

Thanks for the advice!

Back