• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

EUREKA! Finally something that gets rid of the tear staining

Darby's Mom

Hello all!
Like many of you, I am on a constant quest to find something that gets rid of Darby's red tear staining... especially since I show her on a regular basis, it seems such a shame to have those ugly red streaks mar that gorgeous little doll face.

I've tried everything.... diet change, Diamond Eyes, Eye Envy, apple cider vinegar (which worked for a while, then stopped), etc....

Well, it looks like I've finally found a miracle product!! It's called Angel Eyes! I've been using it for a little over a month, as I wanted to give it a good "test run" before recommending it on the board. WOW!!! :shock: Unlike all the other things I've tried, which are topical... this is a powder that goes in their food. I was a little leery of anything systemic, but it is 100% pure beef liver, tylosin as tartrate (so it tastes yummy). From the Angel eyes website "Angel Eyes works to prevent tear staining by tying up circulating porphyrins. A porphyrin is a compound that reacts with light to produce a reddish brown stain to the medial canthus. The ingredients in Angels' Eyes will prevent your dog from contracting Ptyrosporin (Red Yeast) and bacterial infections which causes excess tearing and staining." It's even safe for pregnant dogs! Darby still tears, but it is minimal and it is completely CLEAR!! I am thrilled! All I have to do is wipe the moisture away - absolutely NO staining!! Plus, it gets rid of staining around the mouth, too!

It took about 2 weeks to really notice a difference - but the difference is night & day! WOW!!! To help with her prior existing staining, I applied a mixture of 50% waterless shampoo & 50% hydrogen peroxide (3%) to her stains before bedtime, to get rid of the pre-stained fur... any new tearing is clear!

Check out their website... the stuff is quite expensive, but WELL worth it.
http://www.angelseyesonline.com/

I highly recommend the 4 oz (120g) bottle, as the 1oz (30g) bottle only lasts about 1 month. I have found it cheaper on the following website (where I purchased it), and they include shipping free!
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=yhst-73074255423624&query=angel+eyes

Just thought I'd share this great find with y'all! :p

Thanks for the tip! My breeder said that there was a 'food additive' that she recommended if the tear staining was bad...but I haven't noticed it much at all on Bianca. Wonder if it's the same stuff. I'll find out and report back. Sounds like great stuff! :flwr: -Natalie

Anyone know where you can get this in the Uk?
According to the "Angel Eyes" website listed above, they ship internationally. You can also probably do a search for it on other UK online stores and find it elsewhere. :flwr:

Cornstarch?

Does anyone ever use a light powdering of cornstarch under the eyes?

This was recommended to me, but I haven't tried it yet.

The yeast idea makes sense because the discharge does have a yeasty odor, doesn't it? At least on Barkleigh. I find it unpleasant. His breath is sweet and his ears are clean so one likes to have a fragrant doggie to nuzzle

Does anyone ever use a light powdering of cornstarch under the eyes?

Yes - it helps to absorb the moisture, but does nothing to help with the yeast or the staining (or smell). Plus, when I tried it, I found it turned into a nasty white "paste" after about 10 minutes. :?

I don't have a cavalier yet but I do have maltese that tear stain. I give them Angel Eyes as well and it helps a lot!! I was also told you don't have to give them as much as recommended, it is just so you will buy more sooner but it has been proven that a smaller amount works just as good.
Have you tried using polydent?? It is for cleaning dentures but works great on tear stains. You just add two tablets to 1/4 cup of hot water. Let it dissolve and cool. Then carefully rub it on the tear stains making sure you are extra careful not to get it in the eyes. Let set over night and wash out in the morning. It makes a big difference, it works great and it doesn't harm them in any way.

thanks Darby's mom! based on your review, i ordered some last night. i can't wait to see if it works w/ my Maggie. thank you for sharing your info and expertise w/ us.

So Cute!

Maggie is adorable. How old? Just the "look" I love.

I was in NYC recently and saw 2 Cavs--one had been purchased in Hong Kong another was minded by a dog minder outside of Starbucks. People tip him. I think he does well as the dog walking folks stop by for coffee and their hikes around the block. I'll be back next week and looking forward to seeing the same ones!

Do you see many in your neighborhood?

maggie's 12 weeks! we just got her four days ago! actually i don't see that many cavaliers in my neighborhood... i live in a pretty busy part of the city... but we are moving to a more residential part in two weeks where there are alot more dogs! cavaliers too i'm sure! nyc is a very dog-friendly city... hope you have fun next time you come up!!

I just wanted to check in to say that I've been giving my two Angels' Eyes for two weeks now, and this stuff really does work--I already see a difference. I actually saw a difference after just the first week. Even though it's quite obscenely expensive, I have to recommend it. Milly used to have a lot of tearing and staining, with really horrid dark circles under her eyes that were very hard to clean up. Now, she still tears but it seems to just dry up and doesn't leave the staining and gunk that used to be there. She also used to have some staining on the side of her mouth, and this too seems to have improved.

I did read somewhere that the amount they have you put in their food once a day (1 tsp for dogs this size) is really more than they need, and I have already started to cut back to a half tsp. to see if that sustains this improvement (if it doesn't, I'll go back up again). After three months you cut back to four times a week and then after six months to just once a week, so the high cost is mostly in this start-up phase.

I was also wary of using something systemic like this, but I haven't been able to find any indication anywhere, so far, that this can be harmful to them.

Many thanks to Darby's Mom!!!

Thanks for the tip. Thankfully that is not a problem I have but I am always looking for show tips and I am sure eventually I will show a Cavalier that has the problem.

another great one i have used is a compound made from fullers earth low grade boric and optrex all mixed into a paste .....i appled it for 3 days and the pink was gone

even better it cost pennies to make up

Back