Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slipped disk

Post Thanks / Like

Default slipped disk

I have had some bad news about my little dog Henry. Whilst we were on holiday he was just putting his paws up onto my partner and he started really yelping alot. We couldn't work out what was wrong with him. Luckily we were driving home that day (monday), so we could take him to our vet. He would yelp when he was making certain movements.
    We took him to the vet who said it was his back, and that Henry had a slipped disk which was causing him the pain. He will be having xrays done on thursday. I really hope it will heal ok, I am so worried about him.
    He might need an operation. He has to stay crated, and rest in a straight position as much as possible, hes not allowed to go up any stairs or have any walks. It will probably take 6 weeks to heal. I just want him to be ok, i hate seeing him in pain.
    Have any of you ever had this problem? I would really like your comments, and any ideas to help him.
    Fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If it is a slipped disk it should show clearly on Xray and he will need crate rest and probably steroids short term to relieve the inflammation etc. Keep him from jump;ing up or off anything and only lift him very carefully or ideally not at all. If it is a mild case he should do well but this can get more problematical if for example the cushioning tissue is worn badly between disks. If he is at all overweight I'd work hard to get the weight off right away, as this greatly contributes to risk of discomfort, pain and further damage.

If the xrays do not show a slipped disk make sure your vet is familiar with syringomyelia (lots of info at the link in my sig). This is often misdiagnosed as a slipped disk because it frequently will cause pain in the spinal area as that is where the syrinxes press against nerve endings.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Poor little Henry. Hope he's feeling better soon.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karlin. I have been keeping him very still, and been making sure that he isn't climbing stairs or jumping up. He seems more comfortable now. He has just been in his crate all the time. His weight is not a problem, (the vet checked it) he is not at all overweight which is good.
    I didn't think of syringomyelia. I will def mention it to the vet when he has the xray tomorrow. Thanks for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Cathy

Post Thanks / Like

Hope Henry gets better soon

Post Thanks / Like

Feel better soon Henry!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope Henry is feeling better really soon. Poor little man.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone. I have just taken him to the vet for his xrays. Have to ring them at 2pm to find out what they found. Fingers crossed it isn't too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

How does a slipped disk happen?
    Waffles is home!!