• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lump on leg/hip

aleethomas

So I just noticed a small lump on Paddens leg/hip area last night. I pushed around on it and its under the skin but it didn't seem to cause her any pain. We're calling the vet to see if we need to bring her in asap or if we could hold off a week and see if it goes away.

She's only 5 months so hopefully its nothing life threatening. I am wondering if it could be scar tissue or something from her shots as they were all given down in that area.

Anyone found anything similar on their pups? Should I be concerned?
It made me sick to my stomach last night finding it....

I wouldn't worry. It's just unsual to find lumps/bumps especially after a vaccination. Could very easily be from the vaccine. Shelby had a lump on her neck....scared me to death since Jake had had carcinoma in his mouth....vet aspirated it and said it was just a benign bump. It went away on its own.

so should i just watch it and see what happens? Or should I have the vet aspirate it and double check it?

She had her vaccinations about 2-3 weeks ago and I just noticed the bump.

Not sure what carcinoma is, but how did you know Jake had it in his mouth. Was it a lump in his mouth?

If I worry this much about my dog I am going to be a wreck one day when I have children! :yikes

just from personal experience I noticed both Kosmo and Faith's "rabies bumps" took a few weeks to go away. If you are that concerned I would call the vet - I am not sure what the normal time frame for "shot bumps" is to stick around but I know mine had it for a at least a few weeks ;)

Thanks for all your comments... I'm feeling way more at ease now!

I'm sure its her rabies bump then because that was her most recent shot!
I'll just watch it and if it doesn't go away in the next month or so I'll talk to her vet when she goes in to get spayed.

If I worry this much about my dog I am going to be a wreck one day when I have children!

:lol: i worry about that a lot myself----i sometimes check indy at night to see if he is breathing :roll:

i'm sure padden is fine---maybe you could phone the vet just to ease your worries but it definately sounds like a rabies lump, especially as padden has had several vaccinations recently. our own muscles will make lumps if they experience trauma and it's most likely that's what it is.

k

i sometimes check indy at night to see if he is breathing

I do the same thing with padden! Sometimes I can't feel her breath so I have to watch and see if her belly moves. I do the same thing when I'm watching my baby nephew and he's napping longer than usual.

LOL I've done the "check to see if he's breathing" thing too. Poor Tucker, I always end up waking him up when I do it. It's just that he usually snores at least a little and when he's sleeping silently it's unusual.

Broken record here. CALL your vet and ask what he advises you to do.

Is the lump attached only to the skin, or is it attached to muscle underneath? (Can you sort of pull out on the lump and it comes with the skin away from her body?)

Since we're dealing with fibrosarcoma (cancerous lump in Wallis's skin that started out as a small lump) I'm paranoid. I'll freely admit to that. And she has other conditions that make surgery not an option.

So please, for me, call your vet and just ask him. It's most likely nothing much, but we'll both feel better.

Let me know!!!

In Boxers, every lump must be investigated, so historically I am a bit para about lumps & bumps. I'm with Crittercall on this one. I'd have a quick chat on the phone with the vet & see if he advises having it looked at.

I agree with the ringing the vet or even going in, you can never be too sure, unless it is at the exact site of a recent shot ? then I might be inclined to put it down to that but monitor closely.
How big is the lump ?
Harry once got a lump around that age from an insect bite, it took a few weeks to go down. (but he is allergic to bites)

aleethomas said:
i sometimes check indy at night to see if he is breathing

I do the same thing with padden! Sometimes I can't feel her breath so I have to watch and see if her belly moves. I do the same thing when I'm watching my baby nephew and he's napping longer than usual.

Same here! I can hear the snoring from my bedroom and if it stops I get worried or if I hear a cough or strange sound I start thinking they are choking and end up sneaking downstairs to make sure they're OK - of course they are always sleeping soundly, completely oblivious to me and my craziness :lol:

I hope Padden will be OK :flwr:

I would err on the side of caution and have it checked. If it's nothing then you feel much better. I would worry until i had it checked, but that's just me.

called the vet... they said it was from her rabbies shot! Wish they would have said something when they gave it to her to at least warn me. How was I suppose to know that?!

Don't you know it is their goal to make you feel stoopid? :D

Just kidding. I'm glad that it's nothing more than that, and you're right they should have told you that there was a possibility of that happening.

aleethomas said:
called the vet... they said it was from her rabbies shot! Wish they would have said something when they gave it to her to at least warn me. How was I suppose to know that?!
Vets and pediatricians...I'm seeing less and less difference between 'em these days!

Back