• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

1 year vet check up

Gingers Mommy

Does anyone have any suggestions or guidelines for me as I will be taking Ginger to the vet for her 1 year check up.
Id like them to test her heart (but i dont really know how they do that- do they just listen with a stethascope?)
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Vets will generally listen to hearts anyway. :) However they are not great at hearing early murmurs -- it's good idea to have your dog cardiologist tested every year to 18 months or so. A year is pretty young to do this though some folks like to start early. Some suggest age two to 2.5 as a good time to start, as well.

You can generally find very low cost cardiac clinics that pet owners can attend at cavalier club events. It is a lot more expensive to do this as an appointment. Here's a list of health clinics:

http://cavalierhealth.org/health_clinics.htm

But you can also call your local or regional club. You usually need to make an appointment so they know you will be attending.

Bring a stool sample, it can be tested for parasites or worms. The vet will bring Ginger up-to-date with her shots, refill scripts for monthly heart-worm pills, flea/tick medication, check her ears, eyes, weight, give a listen to the heart and ask about her diet. As Karlin says my vet listens to Tucker's heart with her stethoscope. If you have any questions, bring a list, between helping hold a squirming dog and answering questions, it's easy to forget any you may have of your own.

Thanks guys!
Karlin that link was very helpful, I added it to my favorites and will try to get to one of those clinics in the next 6 months for those specific tests.
Thanks Again!

Back