• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

RECALL CONTINUED...IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Do you know what dry food would be affected???

This is getting ridiculous. "a small number of animals.."

BS !

They said that the contaminated wheat gluten went to an "unnamed company" that produces dry food. They still have to investigate whether or not the gluten was used in making pet food.

Who knows who it could be!! Good grief. Here they go again protecting the company's interests instead of the consumer. :x

If your worried check your dry ingredients. For instance Kodee was on Nutro Ultra dry from the breeder and here for 2 wks. It does not contain wheat gluten and that is where they are saying the plastic is found.

It looks like Stewie's wheat allergy might have saved all four of my babies...Could you imagine? Four sick dogs...I would have to refinance my house! :yikes

moniechris said:
It looks like Stewie's wheat allergy might have saved all four of my babies...Could you imagine? Four sick dogs...I would have to refinance my house! :yikes
Touch wood and DONT ever utter that again in case you jinx yourself!

Griffin had a wheat allergy too, but I only switched him to Solid Gold dry food 2 weeks ago. He had been on Exceed chicken & Rice and then Exceed Lamb & Rice. I am so nervous!!

:(

looks like we're int he clear as far as dry food goes ~ thank God.

Faith is on NV Raw in the mornings and she eats a combo of Wellness Fish/Potato and Innova:Evo at night w/a bit of Merricks canned *yes she's spoiled.*

Kosmo just eats Innova:Evo which is grain free.

It's really unsettling that Menu foods has "only confirmed 16 deaths."

I just want to know why the United States is buying wheat gluten from China. We can't produce our own here? What do we make here in the United States, besides cars? And that industry is floudering (so they say). It's difficult to find anything Made in the USA when you are shopping.

Eek! This is a horrible development! Sadie was on Eukanuba Natural Lamb and Rice Puppy when she came from the breeder, we are in the processes of switching her over to Merrick Puppy Plate, but she is still getting Eukanuba dry food. Let's hope everything gets straightened out and they finally tell us what caused it and EVERY SINGLE product that could be contaminated!!!

Well now I know I won't be keeping Sadie on the Eukanuba, I was thinking about it too because she has had some major gas since she has started with the Merrick! :yikes

I read somewhere that the price of wheat in the US had gone up 60% because of government subsidies of wheat for potential bio-fuels. What is upsetting is that made in the USA doesn't mean what you think it means.

I agree with you 100% Molly.

Now I don't mean to be rude but when I buy food that says "Made in the USA" I really expect it to be made in the USA! not have 90% of it imported and then put together. :bang:

I am one of those people that when I go shopping and i see something "made in china" and something else "made in the USA" I will spend the extra $5 for what's made in the USA. Not that I have a problem with the other one, but I would rather support the US economy. It's a shame how many things are being outsourced now. I had a conniption fit the other day when I called my US credit card company and found out that somebody overseas was answering. I don't think major companies should be outsourcing everything and cutting corners like they do. The economy in US has really spiraled downward in the last 10 years. :(

The problem is that people want lower cost everything -- if you have shopped at a discount store, you have supported cheap labour abroad. If you want cheap chicken and beef from Costco and supermarkets, you support a quite corrupt insitutionalised food processing industry for both humans and pet foods in which health risks are larger and animal welfare concern is minimal, all in the name of buying a $5 chicken and knocking a bit off the price of your kibble. Many of these foodstuffs cost LESS than they did 20 years ago and that isn't even accounting for inflation! Talk to your grandparents and they'll tell you a chicken used to be something you rarely had because of the real costs of buying one. These are minimalised when you cram chickens into battery cages, cut off their beaks so they don't peck each other in extreme boredom, remove light sources, and dose them with drugs so they don't spread illness amongst themselves. Voila, the $5 chicken ('human grade' too, BTW). Cheap hamburgers. Low cost produce from discount markets.

Much better to support small local producers.

The reason wheat comes from China (or Russia or Germany) is because the US exports huge amounts of its own farm produce to other countries as well under (often, long standing) trade agreements. Rice for example is a huge export market for the US -- the US market is way too small to absorb more than a tiny fraction of what growers produce. Indeed much of what is produced in the US including foodstuffs is sold abroad. That is what floats the US economy. You cannot expect those markets to be open to the US and want the US to be closed to imports. BTW right now the US is fighting very hard to increase access to the Chinese market... which has been relatively closed to imports for a long time.

The biofuel scam is totally ridiculous -- it is affecting both corn and wheat markets to produce a fuel that costs as much energy to produce as it supposedly 'saves' in oil going to the gastank! It is a big gimmick. Carmakers need to be looking at better mileage cars and other sources fo fuel like hydrogen.

Shelly,

Glad you're switching your pup from Eukanuba. To be honest with you it's really one of the more mediocre foods out there. They use several fillers and animal by-products.

If you want recommendation on a good food there are several threads out there or PM me and I will give you a list :flwr:

The sad part of this whole situation is that the manufacterers are really trying to downplay everything. There has been WAY MORE than 16 animals affected by this recall. In the hundreds if not the thousands. I read on MSNBC that the FDA had received over 8,000 calls alone.

Karlin,

I totally agree about the whole bio-fuel scam. It's absolutely ridiculous. Whatever happened to the solar-car idea? And how come there aren't more of those on the market?

Speaking of the hormone-injected chickens and cows.. I used to live in a small valley in the US. It was a "grow your own meat" sort of situation. I gotta say - moving here to Canada it's amazing how much different and worse the meat tastes here! :yuk: It tastes MUCH better when you grow your own cows, pigs and chickens. Even the eggs taste better which I have no idea why - maybe because the birds are running through a field and pecking away at grain all day instead of being injected with a bunch of God knows what and having their beaks cut off :( :( :(

arasara said:
Do you know what dry food would be affected???

This is getting ridiculous. "a small number of animals.."

BS !

I heard on the CBS radio news this evening that Hill's (Science Diet) had used the same Chinese supplier. We don't use Hill's, so I didn't pay close attention to if they'd actually issued a recall...but it seems like it wouldn't have taken another 10 days for them to do it after the Menu fiasco.

KC

This is getting so frightening....well, I should say it is gettting MORE frightening and more alarming. Now dry food. And now Hill's Science Diet....I always thought that was supposed to be one of the "better" dog foods, so why are they getting ingredients from other countries I would like to know!!! I think a lot of these pet foods that claim to be so good have a lot of explaining to do.

icon_nwunsure

Hills is only for the cat kibble presciption diet - not any other kibbles. In fairness to science diet - they went out and did testing themselves. When they heard wheat gluten from a chinese supplier they also use they ran tests in a matter of days. That is a whole lot better social responsibility than Menu Food Products! I am not a science diet fan but do respect their quick responsible actions in this. Others should be so thoughtful.

Back