• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

RECALL CONTINUED...IT NEVER ENDS!!!

Del Monte pet food

Another company with recalls:

Del Monte Pet Products Voluntarily Withdraws Specific Product Codes of Pet Treats and Wet Dog Food Products

Had to google name under news. Wonder when this will end.

I just watched our local News and another dog food was added to the recall.... Alpo.

I am so nervous, even tho the dog food I feed hasn't been mentioned, it still scares me beyond belief.

I spent 45 minutes today talking to my friend. She has 2 cats and a 1 year old dog and this food scare has effected her household. One of her cats has failing kidneys and the vet prescribed the Hills/Science Diet (that is on the recall list) ! The cat has been eating it for some time.

So the food that is supposed to help the poor cat with kidney problems, is instead poisoning the poor cat's kidneys more! She has an appointment with the vet for Monday to get the cat tested. You can imagine how upset my friend is.

She told me that she is looking very closely at all the food her pets eat and is going to change all of them to better foods. I shared with her what I am feeding my cats and dogs.

Besides the horrible situation for the pets effected, this has educated so many pet owner's to read more closely what their pets are eating. And the vet does not always prescribe the best foods for our pets.

Anyone hear anything about Royal Canine? Their website says none of their food is affected. This is so scary you just don't know if you can beleive the companies who say their food is not affected.

This is getting soooooooo scary !!!!!

I feed Life's Abundance kibble and Natures Variety RAW ........ not affected by the recall ..............but makes you wonder whose next :(

Yikes... And it keeps growing and growing :(

I have jerkey treats but they are in bacon flavor - I got them at the grocery store because I can break them up small for training.

I don't even want to chance it - I'm throwing them out.

Foods that are not on the recall lists. From the L list:

PERMISSION TO CROSS POST

For those looking for alternative foods from those involved in the Menu
Foods recall.

A few of us have been trying to find out what foods are or aren't made by
Menu Foods. Much of the information came from calls to the manufacturers.
Here is the list I have compiled so far. THESE FOODS ARE NOT PART OF THE
RECALL.

This info is only to inform people of where foods are made, in case they
don't want to feed any foods made at Menu Foods. This information was
gathered from various sources, including manufacturers themselves, and is
not guaranteed to be 100% accurate.

Blue Buffalo: Not made by Menu Foods. Canned foods made by American
Nutrition in Utah. Dry foods made at CJ Foods in Kansas.

Breeder's Choice: Wet products made by Menu Foods, but not involved in the
recall.

Canidae: No products made by Menu Foods.

Canine Caviar: Not made by Menu Foods. Canned food made by American
Nutrition in Utah.

Castor & Pollux: Organix and Natural Ultramix made by Menu Foods but not
involved in the recall.

Drs. Foster & Smith: Canned foods made by Menu Foods but not involved in the
recall. Refused to say where dry is made.

Eagle Pack: Some products made by Menu Foods but not involved in the recall.

Evangers: No foods made by Menu Foods. They have their own cannery.

Go! Natural (Petcurean) Canned made at Menu Foods, Canada. Dry made at
various Candadian mills

Halo, Purely For Pets (Spot's Stew) Not made at Menu Foods. Foods are made
at a USDA kitchen where human foods are made. Nothing less than USDA grade
foods can even be brought into the kitchen.

Merrick: No products made by Menu Foods. All Merrick foods, dry, canned and
treats are made by their own facility.

Natura (Healthwise, California Naturals, Innova): Has their own plant for
dry foods. Canned food is made at the South Dakota Menu Foods plant, which
is not one of the plants involved in the recall. They also say
they provide all the ingredients themselves.

Natural Balance: Not made by Menu Foods. Dry food is made at their own plant
then shipped to the Diamond plant where it is bagged. They have their own
people on site all of the time. Canned food is made at their own plant, then
shipped to American Nutrition in Utah where it is canned. Natural Balance
has their own line at American Nutrion and no other canned foods are run
through NB's equipment.

Nature's Variety: Canned food made by Menu Foods but not involved in the
recall.

Newman's Own Organics: Didn't specify which, but said "We contract with an
organic- certified manufacturer to make our foods, although we develop the
formulations and source the ingredients".

Petfoodexpress.com says it's made by Menu Foods but not included in the
recall.

Pet Promise: Not made by Menu Foods. Canned foods are made at their own
plant in Wisconsin. Dry Foods are made at their own plant in Denver.

Precise: Refuses to say whether or not their foods are made by Menu Foods,
but they are not involved in the recall.

Solid Gold: No products made by Menu Foods. Dry food made by Diamond.

Timberwolf Organics: When contacted, they refused to say whether or not
their food is made by Menu Foods. Said they can't give out that information.

Wellness/Old Mother Hubbard: Some products made by Menu Foods but not
involved in the recall.

Wysong: Most foods are made at their own facility. Their Au Jus line, the
Chicken Stew and Gravy, and Beef Stew and Gravy foods are made at Menu Foods
but not involved in the recall.

Also, Trader Joe's is not involved in the recall, but is voluntarily
removing all canned foods made by Menu Foods, only as a precaution.

What I feed the dogs is not on the list either, as far as I know. It changes all the time.

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet IVD Canine Potato & Rabbit

This is really concerning! I spent approximately 2 hours yesterday researching dry dog foods, and found this site:
http://www.petfoodexpress.com/petfood/default.asp?pageid=78&Section=About
If you scroll down, you'll see that Innova is produced there (with their own ingredients) as is some of the Wellness. I found out on other sites, too. I've decided to look into other foods that aren't produced there, not wanting to take any chances.

We're going to buy a 5 lb bag of dry Canidae and a 5lb bag of dry Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul at PetSmart to see how our cavs like it. Geordie may not get along with the grains, so we may have to find something else for him.

If these don't work out, we're going to buy some California Natural lamb & rice at the next Cavalier play group meeting because the training center stocks it. I'm also looking for Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato, but I'm not sure where to buy it, or Natural Balance kibble either.

I dont see this problem as being limited to menu foods or even menu foods.- its due to the gluten supplier (this time). I would much rather the FDA publish who supplied the wheat gluten and what client list that used it. From that perspective - it doesnt matter if merricks or who ever produces their own food, thay all buy ingredients - and an ingredient is the problem not the dog manufacturer. FDA needs to demand ingredient testing to ensure safety. Any one of those high end foods could purchase an ingredient contaminated and not know it just like menu foods.

Just a heads up that Monica Segal the well known canine nutritionist has posted some info to the lists on feeding a homecooked diet with two sample recipes -- the one for small dogs would suit a cavalier.

I have posted her full email here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8803

I think a lot of people may be interested in finding out what other alternatives there are to store bought foods.

Check out her website, as her book K9 Kitchen would answer many people's questions on developing a healthy diet for your dog and she has some great booklets on everything from recipes for homecooked or raw diets, to supplementing commercial foods with fresh foods (something a lot of people ask about here!) to diets for senior dogs, etc.

Monica has cavaliers herself and is a board member here. :)

This recall of foods is really getting to people...Almost 50% of our customers at the store call or come in and ask if such and such brand of dog food has been affected...or do you have a list of all the foods that were affected...I mean if everyone is so afraid of feeding either euk. or iams or sci diet, or any of the other foods one the supposed list...

We just ask what food are you feeding your dog/cat and if it's one that was on the list we recommend one better...Either Solid Gold, Innova/Evo, Wellness, Chicken Soup, Evangers, Nautral Balance...the list of recommended foods can go on...but you if poison can get into pets food so easily...think of how easy it might be to get into our foods

This is so scary ... and to think that a month ago most of us had literally NO idea that Menu foods made so many foods ... even Innova! (even if they were not impacted because they don't use the wheat gluten).

Lucky had his training class on Saturday morning and the trainer told us that two of the dogs in her class so far have DIED because of the tainted food, and another is in the hospital.

They were taking the Alpo off the shelves at Petsmart while we were there.

So scary - If one trainer can have 3 dogs impacted that she knows of, I think the true impact has been greatly understated so far. :(

Back