• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Itchy Chin

Joanne M

Tucker scratches his chin a lot. I see nothing that looks irritated and have been told by other dog owners it's not that uncommon. I was shopping online just a while ago and saw a comment about "chin eczema". Is anyone familiar with this?

I know there is a condition called canine eczema. First time I have heard it referred to as chin eczema. Could Tucker have a food allergy? Does he scratch any where than his chin? Sorry I can't help.

Like every dog I've ever seen Tucker will sometimes scratch just about anywhere he can reach, but the chin scratching thing is a daily event. He's been like this since I got him. There is no outward signs of irritation. I know he has allergies to pollen, probably dust too, last year in the spring the vet said I could give him half a childrens dose of benadryl. I'd never heard the term "chin eczema" before. It was part of an ad that I was reading online, for ridiculously over-priced spaniel dog food dishes.

I'm familiar with eczema, most everyone in my family has had a form of it. Though not necessarily all the time, I had it once long ago, and never got it again.

Could just be an itch.....we get them frequently but have fingers for scratching. :)

Seriously, unless its extreme, I wouldn't worry about it.

Doggies do scratch.....some of it is normal but with SM and PSOM, I think we are all much more aware and nervous. :flwr:

If he has pollen/dust allergies his chin would be laying on surfaces where these things also are and the hair is quite thin there -- so I'd think it would be likely this area would get more irritated.

Thanks for the responses. I am thinking that he does have an allergy/eczema that bothers him there. Next time we see the vet I'll discuss. I'm also going to look at natural/holistic foods that are good for eczema, seems to me I've read something along these lines before, either foods to avoid, or things that can sometimes help with itching.

Joanne, try some Dr Bach's Rescue Cream on Tucker's chin and see if it makes a difference. I use it on my boys and find it is really good. You can usually get it in a health shop or online.

Charlie has got multiple allergies and I usually just put a dab on the blisters that appear on his face. It seems to calm the areas right down again :flwr:

Thank you, I was wondering if there was a SAFE topical treatment I could use. He's never had a blister, but I do not want him to get one either. I'll look to see if I can find this item in my area.

Is this the same product you are referring to, not a cream, but wonder if its the same line?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Tucker is also allergy prone, but thus far he seems to sneeze and scratch a bit as a manifestation, no sores, redness or blistering. Thank God and I'd like to keep it that way too. He sneezes often enough that he looks at me and waits for me to say "God Bless You" after.

oliver

Oliver sometimes scratches at his chin/nose area and he will even cry as he does it. The vet said there was nothing wrong but that it may have to do with his food and an allergy-he was on Bil-jac, which I haven't seen great things about on here. I just bought Innova today so I am going to start switching him over and see if that helps with the scratching and the grass eating, which I posted on here, also. I hope that helps! I got really nervous yesterday when I read the symptoms of SM with all the scratching, but I think I was just over-reacting!

Back