• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I went to Petland for the first time yesterday...

laurenlyn1

I went to Petland yesterday just to look and see what it was like. i did not buy anything, not even a toy from there. i went on a Saturday evening, so it was pretty busy. they even had like a birthday part or something going on there where little kids were playing with the puppies. i was saddened by what i saw. i saw two dogs poop in their cage and then i saw one of them eat it after they pooped.

but the saddest thing of all was that there was a tri color cavalier there. i have no idea what the price was because i didn't ask. and another thing that made me mad was how many people were looking at these dogs. the place was pretty crowded. i really wish i could picket outside of these places and tell these people not to buy their puppies from there.

now i know what a Petland looks like and now that I know, i will never set foot in one again.

I've been wondering if I'd need a permit to stand on the sidewalk or in the mall right outside of a pet store and hand out Humane Society flyers on 'how to find a good dog breeder' and 'how to buy a puppy'.
The flyers only cost 10 cents apiece:
http://www.stoppuppymills.org/takeaflyer.html

This is something I'm planning to look in to. Have any members here tried this?
There's no reason why a pet store can't stay in business just selling pet supplies.

Cathy, I think this is a great idea. There is a boarding kennel in the next road to me and the lady sells pups too. This lady has been in the local news papers more than once as she sells ill pups. I actually know a couple of people who have bought dogs from her, one died and the other had to be PTS. I often have the urge to take a paint brush and paint something appropriate on the road infront of her rather grand house and kennel. Grrrrrrrrr :swear:

Cathy, I think the issue would be whether or not you would be standing on public or private property. Inside of a mall, which is definitely private property, you'd have to get permission from the mall management. As far as I've always understood, handing out flyers on a public sidewalk should be entirely legal. It happens all the time. But with these larger pet stores where their parking lots are also private property, you might have some problem standing right there and doing it.

You know what I'd do? If you are thinking of a store that has a big private property parking lot in front of it for customers, I'd get help from a bunch of people (so you could do it quickly) and put my flyers on everyone's windshields (under their wipers) and leave. (Then maybe my conscience would force me to go back later and pick up all the flyers that many people might just throw on the ground--but when I get those I take them in my car and dispose of them at home, and I'm forced to look at them.)

Until about 18mths - 2 years ago, Harrods had a glass covered run with puppies in it inside their pet department. It was only the protest of animal lovers that stopped them doing it.

Cathy, I think that's a great idea and agree with Pat about maybe targetting vehicles with flyers.

Lauren, so sorry you had to see those pups. I would have protested in store to the mangement about them selling the pups but that's just me! My hubby thought we were going to get thrown out of Sea World in Florida because I was protesting to one of the managers about the conditions a solitary polar bear was being kept in. He said that he was just fine but then other people joined in and he said he'd get him moved to a larger area (y)

That's disgusting. We have a few pet shops around us and it ALWAYS amazes me how people are SO clueless as to buying a living, breathing puppy from a pet store. Those poor babies are running around in their own poo ... more often than not, they have runny snot oozing out of their noses ... ick. The other day a friend wanted to buy some treats at one of these stores and it was ALL I could do not to lecture the clueless people playing with puppies about where these dogs come from.

You can usually check with the local city council or police dept to find out what the local ordinance is on handing out info or protesting.

You can usually check with the local city council or police dept to find out what the local ordinance is on handing out info or protesting.

Lauren, I stopped at a Petland in my mall a few months ago too and had just about the same experience as you ... I saw this sweet little tri Cavalier. The saddest part is that he looked so big compared to when I got LUcky like he'd spent way too much of his life in that little cage and he did not look either happy or healthy to me - nothing like Lucky or our Cavaliers on this board. :( It was soo sad.

And in the same store, the sales girl was talking to this couple about her little Lhasa dog that "raped" by her boyfriends dog and ended up with mixed breed puppies ... Haven't these people ever heard of spaying and neutering??? It made me sick. :x

I was in Atlanta this weekend and went into Petland to get some chew things for Spencer. I'd never been in one so I had no idea they sell dogs and cats. There must have been close to 40 puppies. And like Lani and Lauren, I too saw a tri color little boy. He looked pitiful and was also big. Now, I'll be the first to admit that Spencer has short little ears, but this fellows ears were even shorter than Spence. I couldn't help asking how much he was. The salesman was so excited to tell me that he was 1/2 off. How disgusting! :yuk: He said they were trying to sell him because he had been there a while and was bigger. I walked right out.

mishmosh said:
selling cats and dogs in petshops is illegal here thank God

I dont think this is correct I live in Herts uk and we have pups for sale in most pet shops around here and they are well known not hidden away.

I hate it when we go to get dog food etc and you see them in their glass houses. Most locals would never buy a pup from these but people travel from all over to get their pups here.

I dont think this is correct I live in Herts uk and we have pups for sale in most pet shops around here and they are well known not hidden away.

I have never seen puppies or kittens for sale in pet shops in lincolnshire i have only seen rabbits, hamsters, birds etc for sale.

I have never seen a cat or dog in a pet shop since I was a young un. I'm in my 40's now. Poor things :(

This Sunday they had Bassetts, duschunds, rottweillers, LLhaso Apsos and some sort of terriers in the one pet store. It is heartbreaking. These stores are the large sunday trading stores. As we left we noticed there was a notice outside the place next door as well.

IMHO, if you buy anything... even a toy... from a shop that sells puppies, you are just putting money into the byb hands! It is your patronage that keeps the shops open, whether it is the purchase of a puppy or a $5.00 kong... it all adds up to patrons helping keep the store open and doing a disservice to the breeds they sell!!

I myself, didn't think about going in and buying this or that for my dog, but then, with a little research, I figured out that buying from the store is just as bad as purchasing that puppy. It keeps the stores open and running. I have since stopped all shopping at Petlands and Jack's Aquarium and Pets (they sell dogs too). There are plenty of Petsmarts, PetCo's, and Pet People's in my area to shop at!

Back