• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier named Life-Changing Hearing Dog of the Year

Oh Nicki,
What a great, uplifting story!
We love our doggies! ;)

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little, Katydid

Aw, that's great! What a special dog.

(And he reminds me of Joanne's Tucker, with that little bit of white on his chin.)

Doesn't surprise me. I think Cavs are natural Hearing Dogs in many ways- want to be with their owners, likely to alert them to anything unusual, and small enough to go most places without a bother.

As I've said before, Holly fulfils a number of HD functions for me, with only minimal training- and only for me. I do rely on her for those things. Once we were in B&Q just after they instituted their no-dog policy, and just as the guy was saying...'only assistant dogs..' he pulled up, saw my hearing aids, and asked if my dog was a Hearing Dog. I said no, but that she acted as a hearing dog for me - and he said that was fine and qualified in his book.

But I think it was mainly the fact that the staff themselves were annoyed at having to enforce the ban, so any loophole...

I've often considered contacting Hearing Dogs and telling them about Holly and asking if they have any training tips I could use in order to extend her um, hearing dog functionality. That makes her sound like a computer, but it's the best word I can think of...

ETA: the must like B/Ts at Hearing Dogs. Here's another- different dog since there's no milk chin.

http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/news-info.php

Oh how wonderful to hear!!!! I never realized that these dogs were so versatile!! I am working toward becoming an interpreter of the deaf so this story is close to my heart :D

Well being deaf in one ear since 5, I hope I never need Kodee to lend a hand but ya never know the clock is a ticking

Kodee said:
Well being deaf in one ear since 5, I hope I never need Kodee to lend a hand but ya never know the clock is a ticking

If you need help hearing the phone ringing, it's really easy to train a Cav to alert you to the sound. They don't usually need training for someone at the door... :badgrin: Holly has even been known to alert me if my mobile goes off for a message!

Mom_of_2_Cavies said:
(And he reminds me of Joanne's Tucker, with that little bit of white on his chin.)

He does look like Tucker. I have taught Tucker lots of signs, as I have a degree in Interpreting for the Deaf and a sister that is deaf.

What a wonderful dog Harry is, no surprise he has made such a difference in her life.

Back