• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Washing blankets?

CVFlagg

What does everyone use to wash crate blankets, snuggle blankets etc.? We are going through a food trial with our youngest right now for allergies. I was washing their stuff today and pouring in my usual Tide that use for my clothes and it dawned on me, that maybe that was what has been making him itch. He has a major hot spot on his belly that he bites at constantly, right were you would lay down.

He happened to need new bedding anyways so what is in there now is completely detergent free but I thought I would check with everyone to see if maybe there was a good alternative I could try to see if I could help the itching? Thanks!

We use Free and Gentle Cheer - no colors, or perfumes. My son has the same allergy where he gets really dry and itchy from detergents. Aside from Dreft, this is the only brand I have found that works. Also, I don't use dryer sheets unless they are all free of perfumes.

Hope that helps!

Most wholefood or health stores (or the Wholefood Market) would sell washing products that will not contain lots of chemical, artificial scents etc.

I use these because they don't send pollutants into rivers/oceans but also because I detest the chemical perfumes in most commercial detergents and I do have some allergy to scents. I use Ecover which only has natural lavender scenting and it does a great job of cleaning -- I use their dishwashing tablets, detergent and washing up liquids.

You might try replacing the store bedding you are using with Vetbed. This is a vet professional quality bedding and may be more suitable then the artificial fibers (many of them petrochemical based) in many commercial pet items.

Teddy was allergic to the synthetic fleece as a pup....so much so that his hair came out in one big place til we figured out it was the bedding!

I wash all their bedding plus stuffed toys with the Kirkland liquid detergent from Costco...dye free, fragrance free, etc....
WOrks well.

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

or you could try the washing balls which you just use on a quick cycle or rinse cycle, they work pretty well for normal washes, but not so good for really dirty items...

I use a drop of lavender oil instead of fabric conditioner - like Karlin I am very careful to avoid using products which are damaging to the environment.

You can get dryer balls for the tumble dryer, this saves having to buy those horrid sheets {which go into landfill and don't break down for hundreds of years :yikes :( } - and reduces the drying time by about 25% - so saves you money.

MOre info here
http://www.grownupgreen.org.uk/features/?id=802

this is their shop
http://www.ethicalsuperstore.com/?home_brand_url=6

I'm sure there will be similar sites in other countries

I also use a steam cleaner for most of the cleaning, this sterilies as well.

Our washing machine has an option for an extra rinse. That's what we use for all our dog bedding. We use whatever laundry detergent is on sale.

I wash Ginger's snuggle blankets in hot boiling water then dry them outside under the sunny sky.

Bigger things, like the crate beds, stuffed animals, etc, I use the washer with normal detergent with a gentle cycle and extra rinse.

We get a lot of sun down here in California so I try to use the 'natural resouces' to dry off our clothes, blankets, etc. instead of using the dryer. It helps us out on gas/electricity costs. ;)

Sorry if I totally misunderstood ur question. :sl*p:

like Karlin, I really like Ecover. Check out their website (www.ecover.com) for their products. They sell it at Whole Foods. I love the detergent, softener, all-purpose cleaning spray and especially their stain remover... works wonders and ingredients are natural and environment-friendly.

For pet bedding I'll use Ecover, and for accidents I started using Nature's Miracle Laundry Detergent, which works really well too especially after treating w/ the Stain/Odor Remover.

I love the dryer balls too... really makes laundry soft, especially blankets, towels, etc...

Does anyone know about the brand "Method" at Target?

I believe it is made with natural products and is safe for the environment.....but I'm not sure!

Well I jsut got off the phone with the doggie dermatologist (that's his new name from now on) and he said the chances of a detergent allergy are highly unlikely since he doesn't respond to the steriods. He said that in all of his years very rarely has he seen a dog that does have a detergent allergy, it is usually some sort of other environmental allergy and the detergent can just further irritate it.

Regardless, I have been researching the Ecover and I think I am going to switch over to their products anyway, they sound great!

Back