• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad news for back yard/farm breeders of cavaliers.

Barbara Nixon

The Southern branch of the Cavalier Club have challenged the Kennel Club about impossible litters being registered eg two Blenheims producing any of the other colours. At first the KC was reluctant to believe the word of breeders, but have consulted geneticists and agree to do something about it. The KC were told that registering these obviously wrong pedigrees could mean that the dogs could be bred from, thus invalidating others, too.

They are to challenge breeders offering impossible litters and demanding DNA tests may be the next step step. It won't stop the breeding , but they'll have to drop their prices if the dogs aren't registered and losing money will surely put them off.

The KC , at the moment, won't be convinced that very fertile bitches with huge litters are abnormal for the breed but our champions down south are not giving up.

Let's hope they get somewhere then Barbara :) I know that the KC has had to sit up and take notice of other things due to the pressure of the Cavalier Clubs. It's about time the whole thing about registration and DNA was combined. Maybe when a breeder registers puppies they should have to register a sample of DNA too. This would also help with the cases of stolen dogs and people wrongfully claiming ownership too.

That's good news...it's a shame we can't convince them about the litter sizes too - sadly BYBs are known to put Springer dogs to Cavalier bitches to get larger litters...

As small pups, they look fairly similar unless you are very familiar with the breed - but obviously they generally grow up to be much larger than a normal Cavalier and tend to have a different head shape.

I don't know if you've seen this month's Dogs Today magazine? A friend just 'phoned me about it...

They are starting a campaign to be called SAVE OUR DOGS...which is demanding for Mandatory Health Testing. It is also backed by one of the Animal Welfare organisations.

I'm hoping to pick up a copy tomorrow - it's not available locally, but I have to go to the city then anyway.

Recently they had an article about whether Crufts was the cause of the health problems which now affect most breeds...there's a bit about it here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/m...xml=/health/2007/03/07/ftcrufts107.xml&page=1

Bet Hargreaves has made a strong statement on a couple of the international cavalier lists in support of the Save our Dogs campaign as being especially relevant to cavaliers, with SM and MVD being serious breed problems that careful breeding could help eliminate -- there's clear evidence in the case of the MVD breeding protocol, and strong initial evidence from a Dutch breeding group in the case of the SM breeding guidelinenes.

Perhaps Bet will see this and crosspost her comments. :)

I am glad this clear evidence of improper registration was presented to the UK kennel club, too. I hope that will boost the move towards DNA verification of litters. That would sure get rid of lots of BYBs and puppy farmers.

Nicki, I think we may have bought the result of a springer cross. He now weighs in at 15.5 kgs
422216340_d15c45bc47.jpg

Back