• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help! They shaved my Monty!

I have to have the shihtzu groomed - because I know I won't take care of that long flowing coat that some of them have! I was fortunate to find a groomer who absolutely loves my dogs (and they love her) and I always feel comfortable taking them to her. Even though Wallis has the shaved spots on her where they did the EKG and ultrasound my groomer worked around that and made her look pretty.

Just like all relationships in our lives, we just have to find the right person! 8)

Crittercall -- I do trim her nails, but I'm just not comfortable doing it. I end up doing about 2 at a time, and only taking off a tiny amount because I am so afraid of cutting into the quick and hurting her. I also find it very hard to get all the hair away from the nails to get a really good view before I clip them, especially given that she's constantly pulling her feet away. Just when I think I've got the perfect amount of length in the clipper, she yanks it away and I have to start over. I've also had the vet do it once. The Petsmart in town trims them for $10 and I've debated just having them do it. I have a friend who always takes her Japanese Chin there to have his nails trimmed.

As far as the groomers, I have been there a few times. In fact, Daisy did an overnight stay and a doggy daycare there in January when we were out of town at a wedding. It is an upscale pet resort-type place. They have the webcams and all the bells and whistles. They seem really nice and I watched them groom a couple of animals for a little while. But it's still kind of nerve-wracking for me to trust them with her. I'm sure they know what they are doing, and believe me I would be VERY specific about what I want done (and don't want done, more importantly). I'll probably give it a go soon.

Not trying to be a Polly Panic - just the vet nurse coming out again!!

Toenails are difficult, especially if they are black. And it's much harder to do your own dog's nails because all they have to do is make one little whimper and that's it. Been there!! And I was once cutting one of my dogs nails with the guillitine (I know, that spelling is all messed up!) trimmers. Just as I clamped down she shoved her foot forward, which caused me to cut her nail way back into the quick. What a mess! I didn't have silver nitrate sticks or quick stop so I used flour to try to stop the bleeding. Thought I was okay; she went outside and when I called her back in her face was covered in blood where she had been licking it. Luckily one of my vet friends lived nearby and I put a baggie on the dog's foot and took her there. I've never been comfortable with those nail clippers or doing my dogs' nails since.

I feel sure that you can make the groomer understand what you want - and don't want. Go on line and get some pix of some show dogs and let her know what the feet are supposed to look like. Too much information is much better than too little. And if you make friends with her everything will be much better for both of you!

I used to try to do their nails, but since Stewie takes 3 people to hold him down + a muzzle, I decided just to suck it up and have the vet do it for $10. I like my fingers very much and would like to keep them!!! :lol:

My vet is really great, you don't have to make an apointment because the vet techs do it. If I happen to be there for any other reason, I just have them do their nails at the same time.

I can do Wesley and Cody's, I just sneak up on them while they are sleeping icon_whistling But Zoey's nails are all black and Stewie...well...is Stewie. :roll:

Monica - my "Stewie" was so glad to be home from the kennel last night that she just couldn't sleep enough. She was lying in front of the desk, snoring like man and suddenly woke up yelping and screaming like somebody had kicked her. I think she "forgot" where she was. The shihtzus are cute but bless their little brains they aren't much in the smarts department!

Back