• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Corn & Wheat Gluten - is there a difference?

casshon

There was a video clip on the CNN website yeterday that was about the pet food recall. They said there seems to be a commonality in all the food recalled and that was wheat gluten.

The news anchor said to look at the ingredients of your dog food and check for wheat gluten. I looked and my food has corn gluten - does anyone know is this the same thing?

I feed the 2 younger dogs Nutro Choice Sensitive Stomach and Honey is on Hills Prescription Diet CD.

Thanks Nicki. I realise they are different grains but in light of all the pet food recalls I was wondering if this was an ingredient to watch out for.

I was wondering the same thing. Lily's food just lists corn. If it was in the wheat, why not corn too.

Gluten is the name for the proteins combined with starch in the grain of some cereals.

Cooked gluten becomes firm to the bite and soaks up a certain amount of the surrounding broth and its taste - hence its use in dog food.

You can learn more about it on

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

I would think the corn and wheat gluten suppliers may be different. Obviously there's no way to know that other than to contact your dog food manufacturer and make sure it does not come from China.

It would be nice if they listed the country of origin of the ingredients, wouldn't it?

It would be nice if they listed the country of origin of the ingredients, wouldn't it?
Yes. And it certainly would be nice if we'd produce our own wheat gluten in this country and use that in our food, rather than import if from China, for heaven's sake!

I found wheat gluten listed on a package of so-called healthy (soy-based) "sausage" patties in my freezer!!!!! Have no idea whether it's from the same source, but there are rumors that this same wheat gluten could very well be in our human food supply. Grrrrrr.

Corn and wheat gluten are from different grains, but each have had their own problems in the dog food industry. In January 2006, Diamond foods recalled their dog food brands when aflatoxin, a toxic chemical, was found in the corn gluten meal that went into their foods. Over 100 dogs died. The toxins were caused by somebody at the factory not monitoring the humidity of the corn gluten meal - a fungus grew in the meal, causing the aflatoxins. It just goes to show how vulnerable the pet food industry is that things like this can happen.

Nutro dry kibble is not produced by menu foods and it also uses a different supplier for corn gluten. I know i was at their website a bit back as kodee started on their kibble at the breeders and she still eats their cookies (havent found anything else she likes to replace them - I'd like to though!).

Back