Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is a safe natural dog food??

Post Thanks / Like

Default what is a safe natural dog food??

I feed my 2 year old cavalier Purina Pro Plan which she does very well on. Although it was not on the recall list, it has corn gluten and I'm nervous that this might be the next ingredient affected. I'm looking into switching to a more natural dry food (she'll eat anything) but I know that even some of these have had recalls (one last year, I think). I'd really appreciate any advice from all of you. I'd also like to be able to buy the food at a store rather than ordering it online. My daughter, who's a vet, said the Pro Plan should be fine, but of course, no one can promise anything. Even natural foods can be bad (remember the spinich scare?).
    Thanks for any advice you can give me.
    Lauren

Post Thanks / Like

Two that have not been affected at all are Solid Gold and Natural Balance.

We were using Innova Evo til it showed up on a list as being "sold without restrictions" list but is partly made by Menu Foods.

The explanation can be found at Petfoodexpress dot com ..... scroll down their products list.

We just want to avoid anything that has to do with Menu Foods, for the time being.

We're just hoping that Mary Alice doesn't get an upset stomach, so far, so good.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this on another site... foods NOT affected by the recent fiasco.

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/

Post Thanks / Like

We have been very happy with Blue Buffalo. We also used to feed Pro Plan and have been much happier with this.

It is also available at PetSmart, a plus for us...it is hard to find quality food in our small town

www.bluebuff.com
    Ashley - Mom to Duncan (4 years/blenheim) and Arthur (3 years/ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Zippy
    we are feeding Ginger innova evo.
    what does it mean when you say they are being "sold under restrictions"?
    Estee-Mom to Ginger
    one of the best things to ever happen to me!

Post Thanks / Like

We've been very pleased with Eagle Pack. Annie gets the Holistic Lamb and Rice Formula. There's a lot of info on their website at www.eaglepack.com. All of their ingredients come from the USA, and there's no wheat gluten in any of their foods.
    Dave
    "My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained."

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I've revised my post ... sorry, that was a typo but I have added the website where I found the information.

I feel that Innova Evo is an excellent food but as some is made by Menu Foods, we'd rather avoid it for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like

We just switched to Merrick's and Charlie has loved it. We also used Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul but Charlie wasn't real wild about it. I also started him on Nature's Variety raw medallions last weekend and he gobbles them up. He gets two in the morning with this kibble.

None of these foods are available at Petsmart or Petco but they are available at a locally owned pet food store nearby. Usually if you go to the company's website you can find out where to buy the food near you.
    Lenee
    Mom to Charlie (tri-color boy born on 12/29/06)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another thing to keep in mind is that local petshops will often order in larger, more cost effective bags for you even if they don;t stock them on the shelves, or will order a different brand for you if their supplier carries it. So it is always worth checking.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We've just started feeding Canidae All Life Stages dry food, and Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato dry food to our 3 cavs. Canidae is very easy to find compared to the Pinnacle. Both brands come in a few other flavors.

I'm staying away from Pinnacle Chicken and Oats dry food, as that is made at menufoods. It was not recalled, but you never know.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)