• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

what is a safe natural dog food??

laur912

I feed my 2 year old cavalier Purina Pro Plan which she does very well on. Although it was not on the recall list, it has corn gluten and I'm nervous that this might be the next ingredient affected. I'm looking into switching to a more natural dry food (she'll eat anything) but I know that even some of these have had recalls (one last year, I think). I'd really appreciate any advice from all of you. I'd also like to be able to buy the food at a store rather than ordering it online. My daughter, who's a vet, said the Pro Plan should be fine, but of course, no one can promise anything. Even natural foods can be bad (remember the spinich scare?).
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Lauren

Two that have not been affected at all are Solid Gold and Natural Balance.

We were using Innova Evo til it showed up on a list as being "sold without restrictions" list but is partly made by Menu Foods.

The explanation can be found at Petfoodexpress dot com ..... scroll down their products list.

We just want to avoid anything that has to do with Menu Foods, for the time being.

We're just hoping that Mary Alice doesn't get an upset stomach, so far, so good. :)

We have been very happy with Blue Buffalo. We also used to feed Pro Plan and have been much happier with this.

It is also available at PetSmart, a plus for us...it is hard to find quality food in our small town

www.bluebuff.com

Zippy
we are feeding Ginger innova evo.
what does it mean when you say they are being "sold under restrictions"?

We've been very pleased with Eagle Pack. Annie gets the Holistic Lamb and Rice Formula. There's a lot of info on their website at www.eaglepack.com. All of their ingredients come from the USA, and there's no wheat gluten in any of their foods.

Hi,

I've revised my post ... sorry, that was a typo but I have added the website where I found the information.

I feel that Innova Evo is an excellent food but as some is made by Menu Foods, we'd rather avoid it for the time being. :)

We just switched to Merrick's and Charlie has loved it. We also used Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul but Charlie wasn't real wild about it. I also started him on Nature's Variety raw medallions last weekend and he gobbles them up. He gets two in the morning with this kibble.

None of these foods are available at Petsmart or Petco but they are available at a locally owned pet food store nearby. Usually if you go to the company's website you can find out where to buy the food near you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that local petshops will often order in larger, more cost effective bags for you even if they don;t stock them on the shelves, or will order a different brand for you if their supplier carries it. So it is always worth checking.

We've just started feeding Canidae All Life Stages dry food, and Pinnacle Trout and Sweet Potato dry food to our 3 cavs. Canidae is very easy to find compared to the Pinnacle. Both brands come in a few other flavors.

I'm staying away from Pinnacle Chicken and Oats dry food, as that is made at menufoods. It was not recalled, but you never know.

I feed my dogs California Natural lamb and rice, it probably has one of the shortest, and most pure and natural, ingredient lists I've ever seen. And my dogs love it and do really well on it. They also make a chicken and rice dog food too.

Ruby eats Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice, and LOVES it. I usually give her a little bit of NB soft food on top of her dry, and she licks the bowl clean nearly every meal. I actually started her on it the day after the recalls started, and I am very pleased with my decision. Plus, it's very convenient for shopping as it's sold at Petco (there's one about a mile and a half from my house).

Kingston used to have serious stomach problems, so I started feeding him Canidae Chicken & Rice, and I love it! It's made entirely in the U.S.A. and has no wheat, corn, or soy products.

Back