Thread: Safe chew toys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Safe chew toys

We are always told to leave chew toys for our dogs while we are out but they all say 'only to be used under supervision' which is a fair point. Which of your doggies toys are you happy to leave with them when you aren't there to keep them entertained?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A stuffed kong - if you search, there are lots of ideas on the board for stuffing - or even just a little smear of {organic} peanut butter

Nylabones - not the edible ones, and one that is specific to your dog's size and chewing ability...

a piece of raw carrot
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Kongs are great, but I'd be worried that they could choke on carrots.
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like

I've never left anything but a few biscuits, but then i'm not leaving a dog on it's own (i have three, but did have four).I certainly wouldn't leave hide chews. Monty has had quite a few sticking in his throat whie under supervision.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the Ziggies safe to be left in the kong ??? I have left them in their crates before with these and havent had a problem, but then got nervous that it might be dangerous. They SOOO loved them and happy went into their crates for them.
    Mom to Harley & Carley (7months)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm among those who generally leaves their dogs in their crates with nothing to play with when we go out, just because I'm paranoid that they'll destroy something that's supposed to be indestructible. We give some treats when we put them in, but those disappear in three seconds. The only thing I would feel comfortable leaving would be a kong with some PB or (another trick I use when I'm trying to occupy them for a few minutes) a cookie stuffed into it. I have also left appropriate-size durable Nylabones.
    - Pat

Mom to Pepper, Ruby boy (b. 5/10/05), and Milly, Blenheim girl (b. 3/3/06)

Post Thanks / Like

I must be a very bad mommy... i leave my 6 month old cav out with all her toys and chews! She's never distroyed them, had trouble eating her chews, or anything like that. Not that she won't ever, but from my experience she won't touch any of her chews unless we are home. It's kind of weird. She likes to chew them while we're in the room or on the couch with her.

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part, I leave nylabones, kong and teething keys for Gracie. However, there are a couple of stuffed toys that I feel comfortable leaving with her after watching her with them. For example, her large (larger than her) blue puppy, she only carries around the house and uses it to snuggle or as a pillow. I always leave that in her crate with her. But there are some stuffed toys that I defintiely wouldn't leave with her...she likes to attack those too much. I never leave rope toys in her crate, either. She's never had a problem with choking on a toy part, rope, or hide piece...but, we just don't take the chance of it happening when we're not around.
    Lindsay, Andy and Gracie (our 11 month old Blenheim bundle of joy!)

Post Thanks / Like

I usually stuff Kong toys with either peanut butter or a ziggy and leave Nylabones for her to chew. I used to leave the teething keys, but Ruby is such an aggressive chewer that she has chewed pieces off of them. I had to throw them out, and they're supposed to be strong! I'm looking into this chew toy in my dog.com catalog that's supposed to be super strong and keep dogs occupied for hours.
    Jessica, mom to Ruby, 1 yr. old blenheim