• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Safe chew toys

George19

We are always told to leave chew toys for our dogs while we are out but they all say 'only to be used under supervision' which is a fair point. Which of your doggies toys are you happy to leave with them when you aren't there to keep them entertained?

A stuffed kong - if you search, there are lots of ideas on the board for stuffing - or even just a little smear of {organic} peanut butter

Nylabones - not the edible ones, and one that is specific to your dog's size and chewing ability...

a piece of raw carrot

I've never left anything but a few biscuits, but then i'm not leaving a dog on it's own (i have three, but did have four).I certainly wouldn't leave hide chews. Monty has had quite a few sticking in his throat whie under supervision.

Are the Ziggies safe to be left in the kong ??? I have left them in their crates before with these and havent had a problem, but then got nervous that it might be dangerous. They SOOO loved them and happy went into their crates for them.

I'm among those who generally leaves their dogs in their crates with nothing to play with when we go out, just because I'm paranoid that they'll destroy something that's supposed to be indestructible. We give some treats when we put them in, but those disappear in three seconds. The only thing I would feel comfortable leaving would be a kong with some PB or (another trick I use when I'm trying to occupy them for a few minutes) a cookie stuffed into it. I have also left appropriate-size durable Nylabones.

I must be a very bad mommy... i leave my 6 month old cav out with all her toys and chews! She's never distroyed them, had trouble eating her chews, or anything like that. Not that she won't ever, but from my experience she won't touch any of her chews unless we are home. It's kind of weird. She likes to chew them while we're in the room or on the couch with her.

For the most part, I leave nylabones, kong and teething keys for Gracie. However, there are a couple of stuffed toys that I feel comfortable leaving with her after watching her with them. For example, her large (larger than her) blue puppy, she only carries around the house and uses it to snuggle or as a pillow. I always leave that in her crate with her. But there are some stuffed toys that I defintiely wouldn't leave with her...she likes to attack those too much. I never leave rope toys in her crate, either. She's never had a problem with choking on a toy part, rope, or hide piece...but, we just don't take the chance of it happening when we're not around.

I usually stuff Kong toys with either peanut butter or a ziggy and leave Nylabones for her to chew. I used to leave the teething keys, but Ruby is such an aggressive chewer that she has chewed pieces off of them. I had to throw them out, and they're supposed to be strong! I'm looking into this chew toy in my dog.com catalog that's supposed to be super strong and keep dogs occupied for hours.

Back