• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New Board: Important!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks and welcome to your new board.:)

I am sorry the board has been down but it took a bit of time for me to manage the transfer, and then a couple of tries before everything more or less transferred properly. On the second try I finally got all the users imported correctly, which was my main desire, and most threads, though inexplicably some seem to have been dropped -- threads in the Getting Started and Bruce's breeder forum (though not the main threads!) and random threads elsewhere but nothing that I could really notice. I am sure others will find a thread they were following is now gone and I cannot explain why... suffice to say *91,000* posts transferred. :eek: Which should be more than enough for anyone.:cool:

You MAY need to ask to have a new password sent in order to log in -- I am not sure if the new board was able to transfer passwords, but it looks like it is working as I've seen some people back online already.

It did NOT transfer avatar links. Because the space for avatars is now a small horizontal bar at the top of posts rther than a large rectangle at the side, avatars need to be resized to a much smaller size -- 125 pixels max width and 75 pixels max height. I haven;t even figured out yet what will work best to get them small, but I can probably find an auto resize programme for this new board software -- just haven't had time yet.However you can also upload a profile picture of yourself or your dogs and will be able to upload a large pic (or maybe several, depending on how I get things to work) in the section called Member Profiles. These are the Zoints software programme profiles where you will be able to have your own dog blog, message each other, have 'friends' as on social network sites etc. At the moment it is turned off but I hope to have it running in the next couple of days. You can put lots of personal info in these profiles -- quotes you like, favourite links, your dog library, whatever you want to do. Ypou also have a default regular profile -- people can go there for more info or you'll also see if you click on Member List that all the info and a userpic shows up there too.

There are a lot more things you can do on this board, but also some limitations (eg you cannot put really large numbers of images, whether they be smilies or image links, into a post -- more than 10. I know some folks liked to use lots and lots of smilies in a single post... but this is actually draining on the board's functionality and bandwidth when all on one single post, so this software limits them).

Basically have a look around and try out the various features. You will see we now have a calendar and anyone can post a cavalier-related event there, be it a walk, a show, a fundraiser, a group playdate for board members. Please keep events to something dog/cavalier related though, or I will have to have the calendar on moderation. If yu add yur birthday to your profile it also will display on the calendar (it also displays on the board main page. Warning -- it will also show your AGE if you add the year of birth!). Ypu can check out what the little board icons mean (regarding posts etc) at the bottom of each page -- you can see the threads you've posted into, for example.

I will be fine tuning in the coming days. Basically this is phase one of the overhaul of CavalierTalk -- next, the Library items will go into a parent website and the board will actuall be a separte link. But for now, going to the old url will bring you here.

Now I am going to bed as it is 3:30am and it has taken me two days to get this working. :cool:

PS I notice a few smilies didn;t transfer either, such as the sleepy guy, but I'll be adding those back in as well when I get the chance. And yes, I know a few of my posts say my name is 'imported_karlin'; that was supposed to totally go away when I merged two user accounts needed for transferring the board, but seems not to in thread headers.

K.

Thank you Karlin for all your hard work to make the Board even better for all of us! It's great. Definitely worth the wait. :)

I always feel disorientated with new layouts for a while but it will definately be worth it - great new features!

Thank you Karlin. You must have worked like a Trojan to get this all converted. Enjoy your sleep.
sleep1.gif

Is there a trick when posting now if you want to insert images or text edits or smileys? I'm not seeing any of this anymore when I post.

Congratulations Karlin!!
The new board is just fantastic. I look forward to navigating my way around it . Thank you for all the hard work you've put into this :mexwav: I was beginning to get withdrawal symptoms yesterday and kept checking the site every few hours :lol:

I'm like a kid in a toy store now.......

:flwr: :flwr: :hug:

Karlin, THANK YOU so much!!! I thought of you many times over the weekend working hard at the transfer and hoping that it was going well. I hope you know how much we all appreciate this forum. I excited to go look around!

OK, I have discovered that the board resizes small avatars! I don't know about larger ones. If you use Flickr, the thumbnail or square sizes are the right sizes for avatar images.

Edited to add: yes, you can use a larger pic as long as it is under the maximum file size -- it resizes the image to the size you see on my posts.

Wow Karlin great job thank you!

I've been offline for the past few weeks, this is going to take some getting used to - can't wait to learn all of the new features!

Thanks!

Thanks Karlin, it will be fun poking around checking out all the new features!

well done!

i had been trying all weekend but i suspected that you may have been working HARD on the new board! It looks great so I'll have to explore more later on today....

Karlin, the new board looks GREAT!!! You must have had quite a weekend. Can't wait to start exploring.

Thank goodness!! I was going through MAJOR Cavalier withdrawl!! The site looks GREAT Karlin!! Thank you for all your efforts! I hope everyone had a happy easter!!

Why is my avatar not showing up... i uploaded one and it shows in profiles, but it doesn't show up in posts??

Last edited:
Back