• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Stores

Is it possible that there may a few (very few) pet shops that do purchase their dogs from breeders and the puppies are indeed AKC registered? I mean, I do hope that there are a few good pet shops out there. But, I don't know, the more I hear, the more I wonder...

One thing everyone needs to understand is that being AKC registered is not by itself an indication of quality and even being a breeder advertising on the AKC site is not. There are lots of petstores who buy from puppy mills through brokers that have AKC registerable puppies. :bang: In your search for a reputable breeder you need to lots of homework and ask lots of questions beyond AKC. Karlin's posts and links on purchasing a puppy are a good start. (y) It should not be as hard as it is but it is what it is.

How very "anna nicole" of them!! GRRRRRRRR...

Although this is very OFF topic I have to say ~ If you've been following the ANS case closely you'll find that the nannies are taking back some of their statements.. It's all a mess.. Ack anyways I am just disgusted that the American media has taken such a big spin on the ANS case and persecuted a man who hasn't even been proven guilty. You can't take everything that FoxNews or whoever says for face value.

As far as puppies being taken away too early, Faith was taken from her mom to a pet store at 5 weeks :(

Although this is very OFF topic I have to say ~ If you've been following the ANS case closely you'll find that the nannies are taking back some of their statements.. It's all a mess.. Ack anyways I am just disgusted that the American media has taken such a big spin on the ANS case and persecuted a man who hasn't even been proven guilty. You can't take everything that FoxNews or whoever says for face value.

I haven't been following the story much at all, but I am going to have a Jerry Springer moment and am curious to see who the father is...Aren't they releasing the DNA tests today? I am kind of routing for Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband :lol: (totally kidding)

<<<Begin Post Hijack:

I hate all the media attention... but it is so Maurry this whole paternity thing... I really want to see too... lol... how sad am i?!? Other than that I haven't paid a lick of attention since they announced she died, other than the updates on the Today show... it's on while i get ready in the am. :)

End Post Hijack>>>>

As for the AKC comment... that is really good advice and I second that just because a dog is registered AKC does not mean it came from a reputable breeder. Sad I know....

LOL you guys are funny. Maybe OJ will turn out to be the dad :lol::lol::lol:

For Howard's sake I hope he is - that poor guy has been through more crap the last year then anybody I know of.. and all in the public's eye, too! I'm glad he hired that Lawyer who is going after everybody for slander and making falsifying statements about him. ANYWHOO ~

I can't believe pet stores can sell AKC registered dogs - that sucks. You think they would be more regulatory about that kind of thing. . .

And are there not LAWS stating when or how early puppies can be taken from their families? I can't believe Faith was taken at 5 weeks - rejected for that 2 weeks and then sent to Mickey at 7 weeks.. .. .. I found the "kennel" Faith came from and the lady proudly stated that she separates them from their mom at 5 weeks like there was no problem at all :bang::bang:

Sara: I would report her because it is against an FDA ruling to sell a pup before they are 8 weeks of age.

Sara: I would report her because it is against an FDA ruling to sell a pup before they are 8 weeks of age.

I think you mean the USDA (the food and drug admin. doesn't cover puppy sales) . USDA under the Animal Welfare Act-- I don't believe it is against the LAW to sell a pup under 8 weeks of age unless noted under the individual state statues. Individual states CAN have more restrictive laws-- but they can't be less restrictive than the national laws.

I would have been HORRIFIED too and so upset!! I can't believe there are people out there who do this!

Our local Petland would sell 6 week old puppies, everytime I would go in I would ask them... "isn't that a law violation." The last time I went in and took some literature about how it was and they asked me not to come back to that location again! How 'wude! They were the ones in the wrong!!
Ha, I love that you did this! They cant stop you from going back for that. It would be sad if you accidently dropped that literature on the store floor when shopping another time though :D

Here is the excerpt from the Animal Welfare Act:

§ 2.130 Minimum age requirements.

No dog or cat shall be delivered by any person to any carrier or intermediate handler for transportation, in commerce, or shall be transported in commerce by any person, except to a registered research facility, unless such dog or cat is at least eight weeks of age and has been weaned.

This is refering to shipping, which Faith definitely was shipped.

Last edited:
Back