• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

We're getting a BOY!!!

Julie S

(Still trying to navigate my way around the board ... bear with me. ;)

Hee hee, I just knew we would end up with a little boy. I had this funny sneaking suspicion. Because that's just Murphy's Law, right? I went into all this wanting a female (who doesn't) and well ... needless to say, Scout will be coming home on April 20 to his thrilled Mommy and Daddy!

The story:

Yesterday was a loooong day. Our breeder is about 3.5 hours away, so we took off after Easter brunch and made the long drive south. I have to say – I was getting so nervous approaching their house! ACKKK!!! It’s a bit surreal when you realize 9 months of waiting is almost over … and you FINALLY get to see the babies you’ve been seeing pictures of and hearing about for months now. Needless to say, I was in LOVE with every single one of them and picking between all those precious pups was sooooooo hard!!!! Our breeder actually has two litters right now at around the same age (9 and 10 weeks). Since we’d been on the waiting list the longest, we got first pick … which of course is an ENVIABLE position to be in, but ended up being sort of stressful since we literally were overwhelmed with cuteness and had such a hard time deciding!!

We had the pick of two girls, and about 4 boys. One of the girls was really alpha, and pushed her way onto our laps, bit everything there was to bite on our bodies, and shoved and tortured the other puppies who dared cross her path. Our breeder wisely steered us in another direction. One GORGEOUS, gorgeous pup (who I was initially most interested in) was also nixed since he was just too shy … he was overwhelmed by the other pups and we just didn’t think he was going to fit in with our household – though he was probably the most physically perfect. But seriously – they were ALLLLLLLLLLL so gorgeous, sweet, perfect!!!!! I wanted them all soooo badly!!!! I almost ran out with one or two under my jacket. LOLOLOL. As you can see the decision was excruciating.

Some random puppy pics of the crew:

puppiesfirstvisit004.jpg

(Just testing to see if that worked)

OHHH, Julie! We're so excited for you; those little boys look gorgeous! I'm glad it worked out well. For some reason we thought you might be getting a boy. all the folks here were waiting with bated breath for your decision...maybe I get to be the first to reply?? nyanny nyanny boo boo... Hooray! -Natalie

OK, gonna keep going now that I know that pic worked ...

Two boys and the alpha girl closest to me
puppiesfirstvisit006.jpg

The girl our breeder originally had in mind for us using her litter faithfully (who turned out to be sooo sweet) - she was sooo tiny and a VERY close second!!
puppiesfirstvisit014.jpg

Scout on the left and the little girl attacking my hubby with kisses ... she LOVED him!
puppiesfirstvisit017.jpg

"Mmm, we like FEET! Perfect to test out our razor-sharp teeth on!"
puppiesfirstvisit018.jpg

And the hubs said he thought Cavaliers were too small ... HA!!! Look who had the most fun that day!
puppiesfirstvisit022.jpg

"Excuse me! I know you're not here for me, but I want some attention please!"
puppiesfirstvisit024.jpg

Scout on the left ... cutie tri on the right ... can't stop eating and peeing!
puppiesfirstvisit052.jpg

The rest of them we really agonized over, and finally (after about 2 hours of endless puppy kisses and playing) ended up with two that we were really falling in love with … they both had that great, middle-of-the-road personality that we had been looking for. Both had played well with their littermates, were appropriately curious of us, and at long last fallen asleep in our laps.

The girl is soooo tiny. She was definitely the smallest of all the pups. HILARIOUS … she was in loooove with my husband. He wanted to take her home so badly! HA! And he thought he wanted a MALE dog! LOLOLOL!
puppiesfirstvisit058.jpg

Scout on the left, girl on the right
of50590394-1.jpg

How did we arrive at the decision??? Well, I can’t 100% tell you why … he stole my heart as only “your” puppy can do. I think in the end he was just a little more cuddly with me, and I liked his markings a bit better – totally personal preference. Does this make the little girl any less desirable? Absolutely not. What can I say? I’m in love with my boy … and I can’t wait for him to come home. I just felt as though he was that PERFECT personality (well, in the 2 hrs I spent with him ) and our breeder really did say that the two or three we looked at had a really sweet temperament and we couldn't go wrong ... so we listened to her, of course.

Here he is!!!!!!!

puppiesfirstvisit045.jpg

Do you think Scout's nose will fill in? Of course I thought his little pink spot was adorable ... it's more noticeable in pics ... he's 10 wks. The breeder says it probably will, but I'm not so sure.

(Only 10 imgs allowed per post ... so here's one more)

Last cuddles with daddy before we had to go and leave the breeder in peace!!!!!
puppiesfirstvisit038-1.jpg

Oh WOW!!!!! great news!! Congratulations!!!!

you must be so thrilled to finally know which pup is going home w/ you... We had first pick too, and while it was a tough decision, it wasn't that bad in the end right?? ;)

and i think it's funny how the little girl was all over your hubby. Maggie does that to my DH all.the.time!!!! it's hilarious. i'm starting to think humans & cavaliers can have "daddy's little girl" and "momma's boy" relationships....

so congrats on your very soon-to-be little boy! he's so beautiful.... he looks perfect!!!!! and Scout is an adorable name!! YAY! :rah:

Scout looks adorable. I don't think you will be unhappy at all with your decision. We love our boys - they are so cuddly and playful!

And, I love the name Scout. In fact it was one of the names I was thinking about and my children nixed it. :(

Congratulation!!!

Im so happy you finally got your baby Julie!! Scout is a doll!! You must be so excited now Only 2 more weeks!! Go buy your baby some new things!!!!!

PS Love that lil tri! I want her/him just from that picture alone!

Thanks everyone! I have been shopping up a storm (duh, what else would I do? :rolleyes: ). Of course I have things I still need, but Scout should be well-accessorized by the time he comes home. ;)

And yes, I wanted that tri, too. They were beeeautiful. :)

Oh, he is such a darling little man. I love the boys and I reckon he's going to become mumma's little precious. :D

Congratulations Julie! Scout is absolutely adorable :) He's perfect! His name and face definitely go together too. Just a few more weeks, trust me, it will be here before you know it!

Congrats Julie! They were all so perfect, but your right, you do just know!
Ginger had pink on her nose and we thought it was the Cutest thing...we got her at 14 weeks and now shes 14 months and its gone!

Oh my goodness, they are just GORGEOUS!!! Scout is a beautiful little boy. Fiona is 6 months now, and her nose still hasnt filled in all the way either...she has two little pink marks like that too. I think it's adorable! Congrats on the new pup!!!

Scout is so cute! Congratulations--I know you'll be happy with a little boy. I went for a boy and came home with a girl :D --and I love her to pieces!! You just KNOW which puppy is meant to be with you!

Have fun with little Scout--love that name! :paw:

It's fun to read your description; bet it was hard to make that choice! Sounds like you had a good mix of breeder advice and personal attraction to make Scout just the right puppy for you! Funny how men have certain ideas about dogs that fall by the wayside with cavaliers.. :cool:

Ginger's Mommy: Do you remember what age the pink spot disappeared? :D

Donna: I know, I noticed that about Fiona. And I looove it! She's adorable! :razz: Scout and she could be twins.

Oh Julie, what a little doll-face! Scout is absolutely scrumptious!

Don't worry about the pink on the nose - it will disappear. The amount of time it takes for the nose to fill in completely varies from puppy to puppy, but pink around the perimeter fills in quicker in my opinion. I've seen noses fill in completely long before they go home, and I've seen them fill in at 6 months or 10 months. I've even seen Cavaliers with pink spots on their noses that finally fill in around 2 years of age. All in all - don't worry about it!

I know the breeder who you are getting Scout from quite well (but of course!), and to my knowledge her dogs have never produced a dog with a permanent pink spot (the pink nose spots that stay throughout life are very genetic).

By the way, you know that constant kisses on the pink nose spots make them darken faster!? LOL!

Last edited:
Oh Julie, what a little doll-face! Scout is absolutely scrumptious!

Don't worry about the pink on the nose - it will disappear. The amount of time it takes for the nose to fill in completely varies from puppy to puppy, but pink around the perimeter fills in quicker in my opinion. I've seen noses fill in completely long before they go home, and I've seen them fill in at 6 months or 10 months. I've even seen Cavaliers with pink spots on their noses that finally fill in around 2 years of age. All in all - don't worry about it!

I know the breeder who you are getting Scout from quite well (but of course!), and to my knowledge her dogs have never produced a dog with a permanent pink spot (the pink nose spots that stay throughout life are very genetic).

By the way, you know that constant kisses on the pink nose spots make them darken faster!? LOL!

:D:D:D

I will note that kisses make them grow in faster. ;)

Thanks for the opinion! That's great to know! I didn't know the pink spots were genetic. It's true - I haven't seen any of her adults that didn't grow in all the way. But maybe I haven't been looking that closely. ;)

I read somewhere about choosing a Cavalier that girls love you but boys are IN love with you... I thought that was funny!

Back