• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Inguinal Hernia

coconut

Has anyone ever had a dog or puppy with an inginal hernia?

Our new 11 week old pup baxter has a weakness and the vet thinks that it may develop into an inguinal hernia, i have being to the vets for a check 2 weeks running, she was pleased enough at our last appointment that it has not developed any further and we have to go back for a check up in 2 weeks again to see if there is any further development.

If anyone has had experience with this i would be grateful for any information or advise that you may have!!

Kodee was thought to have one but at 6 wks it was decided it was a umbillical hernia. But I did research on it and spoke to a few vets. Its a little bit more serious than an umbillical but usually no more of a problem to repair. Most are done at spay or neuter. You just watch them for size - if too large or red swelling they sometimes need to be repaired sooner. Its good to let your vet observe and make the call if its becoming a problem.

As Debbie says, it is a little more serious than an umbilical hernia, but is usually easily repaired.

I presume you are planning to have Baxter neutered anyway? Dogs or bitches with this problem should not be bred.

I hope it will not cause any problems and you can just enjoy your wee fellow growing up. :)

Nicki- that is all i want to enjoy the lil boy growing up!! My other half is not into the neutering but i am getting both of my boys done!!

Thanks guys it puts my mind at rest, i know that he may have to be operated on but did know if it was going to be a big thing!! he is a really lil cutie and he is well able for his big brother!

Back