• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

scratch bite. diet connection???????????

I changed charlies and dukes food from Pedigree Chum complete to Bakers Complete. I made the change approx 3 months ago purely for a financial reason. However charlie in particular has been chewing at himself on his back near his bottom and scratching alot, he is shedding clumps of hair and his coat is now dull
Does anyone know if this could be connected to a change in diet as that is the only thing I can think of but wasnt sure if there could be other reasons.

That sounds like it very likely could be caused from the change in food.

WHere are you located? I have never heard of that food before so I can't comment on the quality.

Hi I am located in England. I wasnt sure if it was the diet change as duke seems ok. but then I suppose it affects them differently

Sounds like the new food doesn't agree with one of your dogs. You might want to thoroughly check the ingredient lists for both foods to help find what ingredients are new to him and find him another food that doesn't have it. Could possibly be a grain or even a type of meat or poultry causing this.

Bakers is a very mediocre quality food and that is likely why you are seeing the problems -- it has a lot of food colouring, chemical additives etc. Generally anything from a supermarket is not great -- lots of additives and fillers that can cause allergic reactions in some dogs. Pedigree actually isn't a great food either but is better than Bakers (a lot of people find Bakers makes their dog gassy as well). I'd suggest looking for Burns or James Wellbeloved -- most good petshops and some vets carry these. Both are moderately priced. If pricing is an issue think about getting the largest bag, as the food works out up to to HALF the cost kilo per of the small bags. A good quality food is often more cost effective than supposedly cheaper brands as you tend to feed a bit less, too.

That said you should get Charlie in to a vet -- his discomfort could be caused by a skin condition, parasites, or other things. The fact that his coat is dull is an indication that the food doesn't do much for him, though, so I'd start by making a change there.

It could certainly be caused by his diet but because of the chewing also have a look at his anus & also the base of the tail where he is concentrating his chewing. This could also be fleas or flea dermatitis, or problems with his anal glands.

Charlie has been checked by the vet and im glad to report he is ok, no fleas, parasites or anal probs. So it looks to be the Bakers food thats the cause of his probs.Thanks for the advice I will be looking to swap both my boys to somthing more suitable

Back