• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

screwed up application of Frontline. HELP!

aleethomas

I just put another months worth of Frontline on Padden and totally screwed it up! It ended up on her neck rather than between her shoulder blades (she was laying down when I put it on) and it looks like more got on her fur than on her skin....

I'm scared it's not going to work & its getting hot here and we're down at the dog park A LOT!!!! Think it will still work????

I don't always get it between the shoulder blades. I think the main thing is to get in a place where they can't lick it off. So mine usually ends up closer to the back of the neck than the shoulder blades...plus the goofy dogs are always trying to look backwards at me to see what I'm doing. The main thing is to get it at the root of the hair. I part their hair with my fingers and apply it in that spot. No problems.

I agree with Cathy. I don't think that the location of the dose governs absorption, as much as it is just a place the dog can't lick it off. I certainly would not be putting another dose on as that could be dangerous. Just be a bit more vigilant about checking her over for ticks during the next fortnight. They (the Frontline people) say that you should still check for ticks anyway.

Enjoy the dog park :dogwlk:

i mess up on the area i put it on all the time. i think i'm doing well, but then after i'm done and he walks away i realize that i'm way offcenter. hasn't seemed to matter. good luck! and i head that the frontline is really good for more than one month (so that if you do it late or whatever they're still protected) i hate putting it on because it smells and then i can't pet him where i've put it, but i know it needs to be done.

i head that the frontline is really good for more than one month (so that if you do it late or whatever they're still protected)

If it is for just fleas that might be ok, but if it is to cover ticks, especially the deadly paralysis tick (as we get here in Australia) you are supposed to dose fortnightly and I wouldn't risk missing a dose in that case.

I agree with the others the location does not matter.
For dogs with sensitive you can actually put it long their back if you need to to break up the dose so its not such a big sting.
I would however be concerned about not getting at the root of the hair as this is how it absorbs so my advice would be to ring the vet and check. I would not double dose without their advice.

Caroline: A paralysis tick??? What is that? It sounds horrible!! Every documentary I have ever seen describes these outrageously deadly creatures that live in Australia...YIPES!!

Once I was really bored and actually sat down and read the entire pamphlet that comes in the Frontline Box (it's poster sized and double sided with super fine print...I am a dork, yes.) It said that during the animal testing trials, they gave a pregnant female 10 times the recomended dose with no ill affects, and they received the same results with a lactating female. :mad: What that means is that after ten times the dose, is when you will start having issues, so overdosing is unlikely.:rolleyes: Just make sure you don't put eleven on at the same time. (Can you sense my sarcasm?) :sl*p:

(Broken record here) check with your vet. The location of the dosage is not as important as the fact that it did not get onto the dog's skin. My vet suggested that we put half the amount on our dogs' necks and the other half on their rear ends, as this is where fleas like to hang out. He also suggested putting it on twice a month if the fleas get too bad.

When that stuff first came out in spray form everyone I worked with was upset because it said that you should wear rubber gloves while applying it. Well, if it was dangerous enough that we should wear gloves then why put it on the dog? Nobody ever did and nobody that I know ever had a problem.

Back