• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Baking Soda?

cavalicious

Ok so I read in a magazine that baking soda eliminates dog smells so just sprinkle some on them and give them a brush. Thats great! :D I thought. So I chucked some on Ollie and brushed it in. I later read on the internet that if you use Baking Soda on pets for fleas you should always wash it off as to not cause skin problems.

What do you think? :confused:

Oh my goodness :eek: I thought baking soda was strongly alkaline. Might be good for the carpet, but I don't think I'd be putting it on the dog in concentrated form.

I'm back! Did a Google on it and seems folk are using it on the skin, so I guess it isn't as alkaline as I thought. I'd probably still play it safe though and rinse it off.

Last edited:
Thanks Caraline, I'll see how he is tomorrow! It actually is helping his doggy smells, which can get pretty bad

Cavaliers don't normally smell "bad", what are you feeding him?

I'd look for the cause and try to resolve that, rather than putting things on him to eliminate odours...

Every now and then I put some baking soda around Ginger's eyes to get rid of her tear stains, but I wipe them off immediately... I don't think it's a good idea to leave them on their skin...

It is bicarbonate soda.. also known as baking soda right?

He smells bad because his always in the garden I think and gets all the dirt in his fur.

They are the same thing. I would be very wary of putting powder near the eyes as it could cause irritation. My boys don't smell, but I like to spray them, now and then, with 8in1's grooming spray, which smells of honeysuckle. Days, later, if they get a little wet, they smell as though they have been rolling in flowers.

He smells bad because his always in the garden I think and gets all the dirt in his fur.

I don't think garden dirt should make him stink unless he is rolling around in something repulsive :eek:

Some dogs do seem to have a strong body odour. We had a Labrador that no matter what I did with him he just had this really strong dog smell. Thankfull my Boxers are odourless & the Cavaliers only have a little odour, but not offensive.

When we first adopted Sonny, he had a strong (but not offensive) doggy smell. At the time he was on a food we have here called Supercoat, but I changed him over to what the rest of the dogs were eating (for convenience sake), and his doggy smell went away. I am not sure if it really was the change in diet, or maybe he just smelled a bit because he was a bit stressed about coming to a new home, but maybe you could try changing his diet just in case this is causing him to smell.

Is it a doggy smell or something else?

Barbara said:
Days, later, if they get a little wet, they smell as though they have been rolling in flowers.

Awwwww too sweet! :flwr:

Last edited:
I've been told labs often have a strong dog smell anyway because of the coating on their hairs that help keep them getting cold when in water... I guess kind of like lanolin on sheep hair! None of my dogs has a strong dog odour or maybe you just get used to your own. :lol: I do ask friends to be blunt though on whether the house smells strongly of dogs/cats and they say it does not. At any rate I wouldn't change much if it did!

I've been told labs often have a strong dog smell anyway because of the coating on their hairs that help keep them getting cold when in water... I guess kind of like lanolin on sheep hair!

Ah, now that makes sense. :cool:

At any rate I wouldn't change much if it did!

Yer! Love me, love my dogs... or get out of my house! :xctly:

They are the same thing. I would be very wary of putting powder near the eyes as it could cause irritation. My boys don't smell, but I like to spray them, now and then, with 8in1's grooming spray, which smells of honeysuckle. Days, later, if they get a little wet, they smell as though they have been rolling in flowers.

Hi Barbara.....That sounds great. What I spray on Lily doesn't last very long. She doesn't really have an odor, but I like her to smell fresh. Where can I find what you are using?

Hi Em. I love baking soda because it's inexpensive and a good household freshener and cleaner, and it's not poison. However, I would not put it directly on Tucker. I have sprinkled it on his crate bed, and brushed it off. My grandfather used to dissolve a tsp of it in water and drink it for indigestion (we're talking more than 40 yrs ago). It can be used to whiten teeth, by sprinkling some on your tooth brush. I use it to wash my refrigerator, and an open box in the fridge and freezer keeps things smelling fresh. The baking soda absorbs the odors. I'm curious could the smell on Ollie be coming from his eyes, or ears? This seems to be the only place Tucker smells from time to time.

8 in 1 is a US company, so the products should be easily available over there.

www.eightinonepet.com. I use the product at the top , but I notice you can get scents like baby powder and apple , too.

Crazy Dog spray used to add a sheen and a lovely scent, but it became unavailable over here, for a while, and when it came back, with more varieties the perfume wasn't as strong or lasting.

8 in 1 is a US company, so the products should be easily available over there.

www.eightinonepet.com. I use the product at the top , but I notice you can get scents like baby powder and apple , too.

Crazy Dog spray used to add a sheen and a lovely scent, but it became unavailable over here, for a while, and when it came back, with more varieties the perfume wasn't as strong or lasting.

:thnx: !!!

Shay- You can get both 8 in 1 and Crazy Dog at PetCo or PetsMart. I have the Crazy Dog spray in baby powder scent and it lasts a while. The scent is a bit strong the first few hours but it gets lighter and actually lasts a few days.

Shay- You can get both 8 in 1 and Crazy Dog at PetCo or PetsMart. I have the Crazy Dog spray in baby powder scent and it lasts a while. The scent is a bit strong the first few hours but it gets lighter and actually lasts a few days.

Thanks Whitney! I currently have "Fresh n Clean" baby powder scent. I love the smell, but it doesn't last at all.

What shampoo is a good one that you can buy at Petsmart? I don't care for the one I'm using now. It smells good, but is so thick, it is hard to work with. Not sure of the brand, it is in the downstairs bathroom, where I bath her, but it is a tear-less puppy shampoo.

Thanks Whitney! I currently have "Fresh n Clean" baby powder scent. I love the smell, but it doesn't last at all.

What shampoo is a good one that you can buy at Petsmart? I don't care for the one I'm using now. It smells good, but is so thick, it is hard to work with. Not sure of the brand, it is in the downstairs bathroom, where I bath her, but it is a tear-less puppy shampoo.

I use some stuff called Wags. They also have it at both PetsMart and PetCo. It's in a green bottle and it smells wonderful. I alternate using that and Pet Silk.

cavalicious: perhaps a baking soda solution would be better (diluting it with water and put it in a spray bottle). It might be less irritating, if he has any issue to it at all.

Cody and Wesley get that "outdoor dog" smell after playing outside for long periods of time. Usually if I just brush them out, it does away.;)

Compared with a few years ago, product dosn't even smell as strong when still in the container.

Back