• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Baking Soda?

Shay, that "coconut" one I was talking about is also by 8 and 1 (at Petsmart, etc). It's the coconut pineapple scent. Problem is, it makes me hungry!;) -Natalie

I've been told labs often have a strong dog smell anyway because of the coating on their hairs that help keep them getting cold when in water... I guess kind of like lanolin on sheep hair! None of my dogs has a strong dog odour or maybe you just get used to your own. :lol: I do ask friends to be blunt though on whether the house smells strongly of dogs/cats and they say it does not. At any rate I wouldn't change much if it did!
OH boy do you have it there! Our lab could have a bath and smell great, then after a good workout either walk or run in the garden the b.o. would clear a room and you'd wonder why you bothered with the bath.

With Kodee I just use daily pet wipes (puppy non irrating type) and she freshens right up, plus they have lanolin so her fur is soft and it seems to lessen her dry flakey skin she can sometimes be prone too. they are cheap in a 50 pack pull sheet jar.

She had her first bath on the weekend - thought she'd freak out, but she just stood in the bath while i dumped giant glasses of water on her. But after her head still was stinky. so the next night at the vets I had her ears checked - nope, clear but the vet did notice a smell too, checked her eyes - nope smell not from there - checked her breath :grnyuk: We finally figured she shoves her face in her food and the area under her chin stunk and tips of ears.

Joanne, you are so right, it's a great household cleaner.....takes up the odor of all kinds of things. If you sprinkle some on your carpet and leave it for 1/2 hour it freshens very well. :)

Well that is true, some breeds don't seem to have an odor no matter what they get into, my Poodle never smells, and Bentley doesn't either. But my friend's dog just reeks all he time, he is some kind of hound/Lab mix.

I found this:

Sprinkle your dog liberally with baking soda. Let it sit for a few minutes (as long as you can keep your dog still is probably long enough) and then brush out the baking soda thoroughly. This is safe for your dog’s skin, but don’t let your dog lick at it; they can not digest large quantities of baking soda.
This will remove excess oil from your dog’s coat, without stripping it the way shampoos and soaps can. It will also reduce dog odour.
http://www.pets4life.com/index.php?p=research/articles/12#odor

I'm going to try this with Molly + Bella as they do have a certain odor. It's weird because none of other cavaliers had this smell.

jadan gets smeely if he pees on his legs too often.....which is a lot actually!!! i keep wet wipes handy if he gets too excited and doesnt sprinkle properly (he and my hubby both miss the spot!!!) maybe the odour is his dry pee on his legs, even though jadan has been done it does still wiff......well it is pee:0 :)

Back