Having taken my seven year old cavalier, Katy, to the vet last week we got the news I had been hoping not to hear just yet - she has a slight murmur. Because Katy has been showing reluctance to exercise our vet did an X-ray and various other tests to see what stage she is at. The results showed she is in the very early stages of MVD - some changes to the valve but no enlargement of the heart as yet. I have been through this before with my previous cavalier, but that was some years ago and treatments have changed since then. Our vet has said that she could start Katy on an Ace inhibitor now, but that opinions among cardiologists are divided as to whether this is of any benefit at this early stage of the disease. She seems to favour not treating Katy yet, but I think she will leave the decision on this up to us. My feeling is that if there is any possibility that an Ace inhibitor given now would help Katy then I would prefer to start treatment immediately and not wait until the MVD has progressed. I assume that at least it would not do her any harm? I wondered whether anyone had any info/experience on this that might help me make a decision.