• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

is a cough every now and then normal??

Harley & Carley

One of my girls will cough several times a day - not a coughing spell, but more of a dry single cough. Is this OK? She seems very healthy otherwise and it isnt related to playing or running hard - just randomly.
She is about 7 mos old.
Any advice??
Thanks

i would be tempted to see the vet ......i live in the south UK and we have had a lot of kennel cough going around at the moment

Can they get kennel cough even of they havent been to the vet in a while?
We havent needed to go in the last 2 months, and we finished puppy school at PetSmart about 3 weeks ago.

I hope you can have him vet checked. He could have picked up kennel cough at the training class or anywhere. Our foster pup just got over it and his lungs are now clear.

I'd probably get the vet to take a look too, especially if your dog has not been vaccinated for kennel cough. Lots of things can cause a cough though including heartworm, lung worm, or even something more mechanical like a little polyp growing in the throat. Never hurts (well except for the hip pocket) to have them checked out.

Zoey does this as well, usually after she drinks alot of water, she gives out one hack. I brought her to the vet and had them check her out and they did the "trachea wiggle" and there were no signs of kennel cough. I have never seen any snails or slugs around, but it's florida...who knows.

Thanks for the advice - although now I must say I am terrified that there is something wrong. We will be going to the vet ASAP.
Ginger

The vet said Harley has bronchitis and maybe allergies if the antibiotic he prescribed doesnt fix the problem. He also is giving her some prednisone (a steroid) to help with the irritation and possible swelling in her airways. I asked him about lungworms and other illnesses and he said he has not seen lungworms as a problem in this area and that she would not get it from eating the occasional earthworm (which has been a probelm for us)
Also, if she had a worm problem, her lungs would not have sounded clear - which they did.
He said she looked great and for me not to worry so much - easy for him, he is the vet!!
THanks again for all of the advice - you guys are really great!!

About how many times a day did he cough? Zoey coughs maybe twice a day and it is usually after drinking. It sounds like a little honk. she has done this since we have gotten her and my vet said that it wasn't something to be concerned about...I worry though (because I am crazy nuerotic and seem to enjoy spending hundreds of dollars at the vet for no ligitimate reason...Is it possible to have Munchausen syndrome with your dogs??):rolleyes:

She was coughing about 8-10 times a day (an estimate), but I thought it was much less frequent until I starting keeping track of it. I didnt notice a pattern either.
My vet was concerned either, he said it was not a big deal.
I know they think I am neurotic when I take them to the vet, but he is quite nice about it and very understanding.

Back