• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question about Frontline Spray

moniechris

I would like to know how many of you use the spray version of Frontline and how affective you have found it to be. It seems a lot more cost effective because I have four dogs and have to buy 2 different sizes (25lb+ for Cody and Wesley, and -25lb for Zoey and Stewie) . I also have 2 cats so as you can see, monthly flea treatments REALLY add up because each box does not last very long.

Where do you buy it?

How do you apply it?

Does it make their fur stink because you have to spray it all over?

Is it safe for both dogs and cats?

For those of you with multiple dogs, how long does a bottle last?

Thanks for your help!!

It is more cost effective, though more trouble to apply. It does not smell and many breeders I know use it, applying on gloves , for puppies or nervous dogs, so they don't have to be sprayed.

I don't know waht the rules are in your country, but, here, you can buy the spot-on version, now, though a prescription is required for a spray. You should be able to get it from any online pet pharmacy. I got mine from a UK company called Vet-medic and saved £10 on the vets' price.

The spray is supposed to be a bit more effective I think though more hassle to apply and also it is VERY imortant to be sure you don't overapply. Also cats tend to hate hate hate the spray so you'll need two people probably to apply it. Most cats detest that spraying sound and the mist.

Generally you will have a number of pumps that fit the weight of the animal, to apply. You need to wear rubber gloves and spritz around the body and rub through the fur. They will not be damp. You spray some on the glove to work carefully into hair on face, ears etc, avoiding eyes. They smell slightly (faint) for a few days if I recall. You need to hold cats long enough after application that it all dries thoroughly so they cannot lick it off wet.

I've used both the spray and the spot-on and think that they both stink! With Tibby getting weekly baths she is basically on Capstar. Right now I have the spray for the other dogs (as well as Capstar).

I have a personal issue with the company saying that you should use gloves when applying the Frontline. If it is so strong that I need to wear gloves, why do I want to put it on my dogs? I know of lots of people who have applied lots of Frontline without gloves (myself included) and we've shown no ill effects, but the company does recommend that you do it. (I've also taken bunches of x-rays without a lead apron but that doesn't mean everyone should do that! I only glow faintly at night.)

Yes, flea treatment is expensive when you have multiple animals. Then add in the cost of treating your house and the yard.....yikes!

I've bought the spot on today, but I'm not sure on how to aply it!! Have I to put it only on her neck? Don't have I to spread it?

According to the directions (as I remember them!) you pick a spot between her shoulder blades, part the hair so that you have exposed skin, and apply the entire contents of the tube to that spot. Generally speaking, it can be placed at any spot on her body that she cannot reach to lick it off. It travels through the oil on her skin and hair, so if she had a bath today you should wait a couple of days before you apply it.

My dogs always act crazy when I put it on them; I think it may be cold. They run and dive at a blanket or rug or whatever they can. Generally acting foolish!

Is the spray the same ingredients/concentration as the applicators? If so, could I just take a small syringe (in the correct measurement) from the large bottle and apply it in the same fashion as the applicators? If this is the case, then I could monitor dose more closely and not have it sprayed all over them..icon_nwunsure

I'm not sure, Monica, but since I have both here I'll check it out. My initial guess would be that the spot on is stronger. I'll check and get back with you.;)

Hi Monichris

I don't use the spray, but I can tell you a much more cost effective way of using the spot on if you'd rather stay with that....

I purchase the giant breed Frontline spot on and then draw up the correct amount with a needle & small syringe. I then remove the needle & cap it for next time, and then apply the Frontline to the dogs from the syringe. I get 6 applications out of just one pipette, and this works out at about 1/4 of the cost of buying the correct size pipettes.

Caraline: That is exactly what my coworker suggested as she is the organizer of a kitty rescue. She says that method is especially effective for kittens and small cats who never need the full dose. :D

That's why I am wondering about the concentration of the spot on v. the spray...wouldn't it be nice to have 500ml of the spot on to distribute as you choose! It seems too good to be true so I am willing to bet that they are different.:rolleyes:

That's why I am wondering about the concentration of the spot on v. the spray...wouldn't it be nice to have 500ml of the spot on to distribute as you choose! It seems too good to be true so I am willing to bet that they are different.:rolleyes:

I think it is highly unlikely that they will be the same concentration. Given the amount that you have to spray on v how much you spot on, I am guessing that the spot on is much more concentrated. One would also have to wonder if the means by which it is absorbed is different too, given that one product has you spraying all over the dog (& they make a big deal about getting is right) and the other product is just put on one small area. Personally I wouldn't risk using the spray as a spot on, even if it was the same concentration.

Do you have a bottle of spray on there? If so, let's share details.

Here is was is written on the Frontline Plus top spot for small dogs....

100 g/L fipronil; 90 g/L (S)-methoprene

What this means is that for every litre of product there is 100 grams of fipronil & 90 grams of (S)-methoprene

The dose is 0.67 ml (that is for the correct sized pipette)

Last edited:
The 8.5 oz (250 ml) bottle of Frontline contains Fipronil 0.29% and 99.7% Inert ingredients. Suggested use is 1-2 pumps per pound, with more needed for an animal with longer hair.

The spot on that I have here is Frontline Plus for 45-88 pound dogs. It contains 9.8% Fipronil, 8.8% (s)-methoprene and 81.4% inert ingredients.

Fipronil disrupts the nerve function of the flea/tick and is also known as Termidor.

(s)-methoprene is an IGR (insect growth regulator) and is "slightly to practically non-toxic compound....used as a pesticide".

Obviously from the size of the Frontline Plus we have we had planned to use it with a syringe and split it between the girls. The Frontline in either form appears to be pretty non-toxic to most pets; two local veterinarians have told me that it is okay to use them twice a month if needed. (We had a really bad problem last year.)

Hope this helps!

Looks like the (s)-methoprene is the big difference and the one that messes with the hormones of the flea so that it can't reproduce.

two local veterinarians have told me that it is okay to use them twice a month if needed. (We had a really bad problem last year.)

I think Australia is kind of tick-central, so our product information recommends fortnightly dosing for ticks & monthly dosing if it is only for fleas. Where I live we have ticks (particular the deadly paralysis tick) all year round, so I have to dose my guys every fortnight. I am so glad I got onto using the giant breed pipettes, otherwise I'd go broke. :shock:

The sharing out of pipette contents and comparing spray volumes was discussed on another forum some time ago. A vet on there (retired so not trying to make money), explained why it wouldn't work, but I don't remember why. However, I do recall that it was said the spray and pipette formulations are different because of the carrier solutions used.

Barbara, I had thought of that as I was comparing but forgot to add it when typing. It's logical that the solutions would differ in that way. (But few people acuse me of being logical)

Ahh well. They spray will still be a heck of alot more cost effective for me. I will have to see how it works. Battling the fleas in Florida is an uphill, losing battle (especially because of my sand trap back yard :confused:) . I ordered some last night so I will let everyone know how it goes!:xfngr:

Back