• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy not eating

My puppy has little or no interest in her food. She gets excited when she sees the food being prepared and put in her bowl but after one or two bites she is done and doesn't touch it again!

She has tons of energy but I'm worried she's not getting the nutrition she needs. She'll beg for "human food" and goes crazy when she's given a doggy treat but as far as proper puppy food goes she couldn't care less!

People comment on how slim she is, which bothers me as I am feeding her! She currently weighs 12lbs.

How can I encourage her to eat more of her own food or should I just leave her as she is? She seems happy and is playful and good natured all of the time. What to do!!!

How old is she? I'd persist with the food you want her to eat--use that 15 minute rule at prescribed meal times (give her 15 minutes to eat and if she doesn't, then take it up)--and definitely do not give in on the human food or extra treats routine.

She may have just completed a growth spurt and genuinely does not need a lot to eat right now. She will not starve herself, and will go back to eating when she needs to. It's a good idea for her to be slim and stay slim all her life (as the experts here will tell you), so I honestly don't think you need to worry. If she's at an appropriate weight for her age, and seems otherwise happy and energetic, I think you should probably simply give it a bit of time. Dogs, throughout their lives, do "go off their food" from time to time, and it's rarely anything to worry about.

Yep, agreeting with Pat!

Don't get suckered into worrying about what your healthy puppy is or isn't eating. It is a sure fire way to grow a fussy eater that will be a pain in the backside forever. A healthy dog will not starve. It will eat when it is hungry.

Just put down what you want to feed, leave it there for 15 - 20 minutes & then take it up. Don't fuss, don't praise & don't hang about watching if the dog is eating. If your dog does not eat his meal, do not give any snacks, but give the same meal back at the next scheduled feeding.

Also agreeing with what others have said. Don't let those cute little puppy eyes con you. I probably shouldn't admit it because I should definately know better, but we have one of those fussy eaters at our house. We committed the cardinal sin of hand feeding her for a while and paid for that mistake for a while until we decided on some "tough love" and got her over it. As near as we can tell, she will probably always be a fussy eater, but at least we don't have to hand feed her or buy special food. She just sometimes eats less than the others. She has always checked out just fine at the vet and is very active, so I guess that's just the way she is.

I gave Kodee the benefit of the doubt and switched food. She eats most of it, most of the time. She is definately a picky eater - but not obsessed. I wasnt thrilled with my food anyways, so doing a little taste testing on the brands I liked was alright by me. Once settled on one that I know she eats just fine half the time and I like the ingredients I stuck with it. Puppies go thro growth spurts and for some they can be pickier than others during this time. Kodee will go off food after a spurt - as if she pigged out and then turned herself off it. I get a bit more watchful then and go back to you have 20min and then throw out rest. Yes her weight does look on the thin side sometimes but others she is right where she should be. If I were to fuss (not allowing her to get a tad thin - she would take it home and get thinner, know that from experience with her). I am known to add a bit of chicken, cheese or stir in lowfat yogurt a little bit of variety helps

OK I know you all say 10-15 but kodee makes eating an activity. Eat, stop drink, play 5min, drink oh lookey food, eat rest - leave it another 5 and I know she will not touch it after that so up it goes - all in all, 20 min max. She has eaten that way since the day she came. Somedays I wish I was a slow, thoughtful eater :lol: and as healthy as my dog!

Lola will be 6 months old next week.

She takes a couple of bites of food, runs around, plays with the cat, has another couple of bites and then doesn't touch it again.

Ah well, she won't let herself go hungry, I'm sure! I wish I shared her restraint when it comes to eating, haha! :D

Thanks for your replies.

puppy ADD

My puppy seems to have ADD when it comes to her food too....She gets all excited, has a few bites and then gets distracted by something else and forgets about it.....She also went through a phase of being terrified of her bowl.....We are following the 15 minute rule and she seems to be doing much better !

I'm having exactly the same problem with my 7 month old. Half the time he won't even touch his food. He gets either half a Caesar and mixer or Royal Canin. My old cavalier was a canine dustbin!! I had no idea dogs could be so fussy!!

just wondering what some of the more experienced owners think of this suggestion:
a friend of mine has three dogs and all three dogs eat in their crates....keeps the old fart from the pup's food and the high performance food for their hunter. they are in their crates with the door shut for 15-20 minutes, then doors open and any leftover food is tossed. that way, each dog gts the right food and no one is bugging them while they eat. it also removes the option of wandering around or playing while they should be eating. and lets mom and dad know if the kids aren't cleaining their plates!!
seems to work great from them, but i would value more opinions before recommending it.

just wondering what some of the more experienced owners think of this suggestion:
a friend of mine has three dogs and all three dogs eat in their crates....keeps the old fart from the pup's food and the high performance food for their hunter. they are in their crates with the door shut for 15-20 minutes, then doors open and any leftover food is tossed. that way, each dog gts the right food and no one is bugging them while they eat. it also removes the option of wandering around or playing while they should be eating. and lets mom and dad know if the kids aren't cleaining their plates!!
seems to work great from them, but i would value more opinions before recommending it.

That is exactly how our dogs get fed. With multiple dogs, it's the only way I know of to be sure everyone gets the right amount of food and to tell if someone isn't eating. It also has the side benefit of having the dogs look at their crate as a good place to be.

That is close to the way I am feeding my dogs now. The Cavaliers go into their crates, because they tend to flutter off chasing butterflies if left out :rolleyes: and the Boxers get put onto separate parts of the veranda as they would vacuum up everyone else's food if not contained.

The only difference I do, is that no food gets tossed out. Anything the Cavaliers don't eat, I let the Boxers polish off.

That is close to the way I am feeding my dogs now. The Cavaliers go into their crates, because they tend to flutter off chasing butterflies if left out :rolleyes: and the Boxers get put onto separate parts of the veranda as they would vacuum up everyone else's food if not contained. . . . quote]

You have my situation down to a "T"!! Buddy goes to the crate so he can methodically eat his food at a reasonable pace with no fear that Hadley, his Clumber Spaniel sister, will try to get his dinner after she has "inhaled" hers!!!

Back