• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What age to neuter? 4.5 months too young?

CavyGirl

I was told that dogs should be neutered between 4-6 months old, and that vets now recommend to neuter earlier rather than later. After being checked out by his vet, Charlie can be neutered anytime. I made an appointment for next week. Charlie will be 4.5 months old.

Is 4.5 months too young to neuter? What are the significant advantages or disadvantages?

I read posts on this forum that had links to other posts and articles, but everytime I opened them, the post wasn't available...so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat question. Your opinions and experience are greatly appreciated!!!!

I think that is too early if there is no pressing reason to neuter at that age (eg rescue dogs that a rescue wishes to guarantee will be neutered and never be bred). For a male I'd recommend waiting til at least 6-8 months. Some like to wait til about a year, when the dog will reach sexul maturity and growth plates fuse, but that means managing behaviours many don't want for a few months.

Overall -- I'd wait til he is 6-8 months. I neutered at 8 and 10 months.

I agree that 4 1/2 months is too early. IMHO, there are too many vets out there that want to S/N way too early. I hate to sound negative, but in some cases I really think it has to do with them getting the money now rather than taking a chance someone might go elsewhere later. In fact, the worse I ever heard was a breeder that was doing S/N at less than 3 months because she was so tired of having people start breeding them and then registering the puppies with one of the bogus registries who don't care if the dog is on restricted papers.

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer to see people wait til the dog is about 12 months old. That gives the growth plates time to finish growing. As far as studies for health risks, I have seen studies both for and against, so I guess a lot of it is who you want to believe or which health risk you feel is greater. I think Karlin has the studies favoring the earlier S/N; when Kris gets back from a show in Iowa, I'll see if I can get the studies favoring later S/N.

With the boys, it's no big thing waiting til later. With the girls, it's a different story because waiting til they're a year old means they have to go through 1 season (at least). Even with us having gone through more seasons than we can count, it's still a bit of a hassle. It's not really all that difficult, though, just a real lot of vigilance and care.

We have had a few puppy people who wanted to wait til a year old with their girl, but were very nervous about dealing with her in season. We told them to contact us and we would walk them through it; and if it got to much for them, we would take their girl til she was through it. Every on of them made it through with no issues. Well except for sometimes forgetting to take the pants off when they went outside, which I do myself every now and then :yuk:

I think 4/5 mouths is to early
I had Barney done at 9 mouths old I would not have it done that early again because I think he could have done with beening a bit older ---Aileen and the gang (Jazzie---Barney---Sam)

Dudley was done very young at 5 months old and with Darby I waited until he was 9 1/2 months old.
I would of waited until Darby was 1 year but he was constantly humping.

I figured I waited as close as I could to a year old in Darby's case.
Dudley was way too young at 5 months.

I neutered Colin right at 6 months. I would like to wait a bit longer with Teddy so that his growth plates have time to come more together.

Linda or any one else who has waited -
- if they start any of the traits like humping, etc., if you neuter once these start will they go away?

I neutered Colin right at 6 months. I would like to wait a bit longer with Teddy so that his growth plates have time to come more together.

Linda or any one else who has waited -
- if they start any of the traits like humping, etc., if you neuter once these start will they go away?

Darby hasn't humped since we got him neutered, and he was becoming a little humping machine I tried and tried re-directing him but felt that 9 1/2 months was much better than 5 months. I can't say the same for Dudley and he was done too young, he was my first dog don't know if it is my imagination but I have also heard others mention this Dudley's bark is much higher pitched than Darby's, some say that if you get them done too young it makes them have a higher pitched bark. Not sure how much truth is in that but in my case I definetley notice it. Lately Dudley has been humping quite a bit, but with re-direction he does listen.:) :) :)
I think each individual dog is different, ex: Dudley has been lifting his leg for about 2 years on walks and Darby still squats of course Darby is too busy and nosey to see what is going on around him to be watching what Dudley is doing I am glad for that. I don't want them piddling on each other.

How old is Teddy now. ???????

Pepper had been lifting his leg to pee very regularly, but after we had him neutered this winter (he was ~20 months), he reverted to squatting especially when he really has to go. I was so pleased about that. (We had never had any issues with him marking indoors, thank goodness.) He was doing a fair amount of humping too, but I know from previous experience that neutering doesn't necessarily do away with that entirely--just limits it. He's doing it much less, that's for sure.

While I think of it, what kinds of changes in their coats tend to happen after they've been fixed, whether male or female? I've read that they can become more cottony than silky, and also that they grow faster and require more grooming. Is this true?

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback. I had never heard of the issue with the growth plates, and did some additional research, and sure enough, there is evidence that dogs spayed or neutered early will be taller than those left intact until 14 mos or so of age. The hormones play a part in closing the growth plates.

I will re-schedule my appointment for when Charlie is 6 months. Although it isn't much of a difference, 1.5 months could be quite a bit for a puppy. Unfortunately, My contract with breeder states that I must have him fixed before he is 6 months...

Linda -
Teddy is now 19 weeks and a little love bug. He also has a lot of spunk and enjoys enticing Colin to play with him, even if it means biting his ears or tail! He reminds me a lot of Darby with how you've described him in your posts.
I would really like to wait to neuter him. Colin got very leggy after he was neutered and his bark is definitely high pitched. He never decided to lift his leg, thankfully. He doesn't hump other dogs, but definitely makes the motions a lot on his own. I'm certainly not going into more detail!

mom of 2 cavies - Colin's fur has gotten a bit cottony around his hip area. If I use a slicker brush it lays down pretty well. For a while he looked like he was growing a tutu! The rest of his fur is still super easy to care for - brush a couple of times a week.

Ollie is roughly 5 1/2 months now (a bit tired to do the maths, he was born on the 28/10/06) is it alright to have him neutered now? It is easy for us seeing as I've got a week of holidays so if he needs any extra care I'll be home to look after him.

I've heard 5-6 months. (shrugs) I suppose everyone has different opinions. I can see the advantages to waiting, and advantages to doing it earlier.

Ollie is roughly 5 1/2 months now (a bit tired to do the maths, he was born on the 28/10/06) is it alright to have him neutered now? It is easy for us seeing as I've got a week of holidays so if he needs any extra care I'll be home to look after him.

with boys i dont think its that much of an issue for extra care...well atleast with my boys all that happened when they came back was they were totally tired out and slept like logs all night and then the next morning where back to normal..

Linda -
Teddy is now 19 weeks and a little love bug. He also has a lot of spunk and enjoys enticing Colin to play with him, even if it means biting his ears or tail! He reminds me a lot of Darby with how you've described him in your posts.
I would really like to wait to neuter him. Colin got very leggy after he was neutered and his bark is definitely high pitched. He never decided to lift his leg, thankfully. He doesn't hump other dogs, but definitely makes the motions a lot on his own. I'm certainly not going into more detail!

mom of 2 cavies - Colin's fur has gotten a bit cottony around his hip area. If I use a slicker brush it lays down pretty well. For a while he looked like he was growing a tutu! The rest of his fur is still super easy to care for - brush a couple of times a week.

Danalynn
The longer you can wait the better, Darby has tons of personality and I love every bit of it. Dudley is more laid back, wait if you can until at least 8 to 9 months. My intention was to wait a year but just decided to do it, I am glad to hear I am not the only one that hears that high pitched bark.

Glad to hear he is a fun little guy, hey that is what big brothers are for to bug the c%#p out of human or furry.:) :) :)

Linda - Yep that is what big sisters are for too in our house - my 13 year old son LOVES to bother his almost 16 year old big sister. They just aren't as sweet to each other as my cavaliers are!

I desexed Scooby a few days ago at 5 months. I was told by the breeder that he must be desexed at 4 months, but our vet suggested that 6 months is more ideal. I made a compromise and neutered him at 5 months. I hope this will not impact negatively on his development.

If a male is neutered, does it mean they won't lift their leg to pee?

In my case having Dudley neutered at 5 months did not stop him from lifting his leg, he doesn't lift his leg in our backyard as I guess he does not feel the need to mark his own territory.

When walking him if allowed he would mark every other tree, Darby on the other hand was neutered at 9 1/2 months and I have only seen him lift his leg twice and that was before he was neutered. Some males lift their legs and others don't, I know of some Cavaliers that are 3 and still don't lift their leg.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back