• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does anyone use the Royal Canin Special 30 (for picky eaters)?

Harley & Carley

I saw this on their website and wondered if it was as good as they say. My girls dont eat much in the way of volume and are terrible picky about their meals despite their 15 minute rule.
I thought I might try it as they only need 2/3 cup/day as opposed to the needed 1 cup of their current RC food. It also supposedly has "superior taste" with a softer dry kibble and intense flavor.
Any of you use it before??

Haven't used it but they make something similar for cats (who are notably more finicky than most dogs :lol:).

That is so odd - my 2 cats will eat not only their cat food, but the dog food if I let them! They have never been finicky.
I may give this food a try though and see if it is all they say it is--

I switched Lexie RC mini adult 27 a little over a month ago. She is a pretty picky eater too. I know you said you saw it online, have you found it in a store yet? Just wondering.

Last edited:
Manufacturers are well known for their tendency to suggest way over the amount of fooa dog actually needs, so, perhaps, your dogs are eating just the amount they need. I've had two who only take what they need and the youngest two are absolute gannets, who'd empty a sack if allowed to.

True, but they arent gaining much weight. The recommended amount is 1 cup/day and they might eat 1/2 cup per day on a good day.
THey have gained less than a pound since the end of January, and at 7 1/2 months weigh 8.2 and 10.4 pounds each.

We went through a terrible time of grief two year ago. Because I was so upset one of my girls stopped eating and literally went to skin and bone. I used Royal Canin Toy (mini, I think) Sensitive and that helped her a lot. It is very expensive but in her case it was worth the money.
Regards,
Lionel

Worked for Lilly

I've had Lilly about a month. She's only 10 pounds, and she is an incredibly finicky eater. I desperately want her to gain some weight-- she's quite skinny!

She didn't like her Canine Caviar, Evo, or Merrick, so I went and got the RC Special 30 for small dogs who are sensitive or picky.

It worked! She ate the entire dish and went searching for more.

It's worth a try!

From the RC FAQ website today:
Does the recent issue in South Africa affect the few Royal Canin USA pet food products that include corn gluten?

No. Products manufactured by Royal Canin South Africa are not distributed in the US.
Royal Canin USA does not source its corn gluten from China.
Royal Canin USA corn gluten is sourced from suppliers in the US.

Thank goodness! Mine are on sensitive 30/puppy 33!!

I bought this food for my parents dogs -- they wouldn't eat anything except human food. I was concerned about their weight so I bought a bag of the RC Special 30. Mayple Sugar (a 7 year old lhasa apso cross) and Mini (a 1.5 year old yorkie) gobbled it up! They couldn't get enough. I've never seen Mayple Sugar get so excited to eat kibble before. Well worth it.

i feed this to brady. he seems to like it. and in light of all the recalls, i still feed it to him. i figure i am at just about as much risk feeding him this food, as i would be feeding him any other food. Good luck!

Back