Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News: expenses mount as animals wait appeal

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default News: expenses mount as animals wait appeal

Cavaliers/cav crosses form part of this group of animals seized in Maine. The shelter may have to hold the cavalier girl another NINE months and health costs are rising -- currently at $45,000 for this small shelter. Please read this article and consider sending a donation, no matter how small:

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/ne...654&zoneid=500

Look at the state of this poor girl:

The cavalier could possibly be placed with fosters if anyone is active in that area or could contact breed rescue in that area?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

PS Don't read the comments on the article or you will despair.

BTW this is what that girl looks like now:

Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin,
    I just about fell out of my chair when I saw your post this morning! This is where we live...and I just took out an application to volunteer at this humane society this week....in honor of Mabel's memory. We don't see many cavaliers up in this area, so I was surprised. We were out of town for the weekend so I didn't see this article. Thank you for posting it. According to their website, these dogs are not up for adoption due to the court process, but I believe they can be fostered ( and may already be). I tried to call, but they don't open for several more hours. I'll keep you posted.
    Karin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh Karin, let us know what you find out! I hope some folks here might consider giving them a little donation to help with expenses.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in SHOCK! It takes someone in Ireland to tell me about what is happening in the state I live in???!!! We watch the news and read online newspapers....I hadn't heard anything about this!!!!!! Thank you Karlin for making us aware of this.

I just tried to call the shelter and they are closed until noon. DH thinks we should try to find out about fostering Abby...but we are 2 hours south of Bangor, and right now we are in a very major storm!!!! (close to hurricane conditions) I will call again at noon, but due to the storm we might not get any answers today.

I just can not believe this happened so close to home AND that I had not heard anything about it!!! I log on almost daily to my local animal shelter site...too bad there wasn't a 'news' section or link at each of the shelter sites keeping us informed about what is happening state wide....

We just elected a really great state rep from our area...I should give him a call and ask him to get some laws changed regarding animal abuse. No one should ever get their animals back if the animals are kept in such squalor and treated so badly.

I won't let this issue go and follow up as Mabel's mom said she would too....but if you don't hear from us for a while, it could be that we've lost power...our cable just went out and I assume the power is next. This storm is really cranking up...I just had to go try to move our canoe that was blown over and almost in the neighbor's yard!!!
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like

Lynn & Karin - good for you in getting active with this! Surely they can use your help.

Karlin - thanks for posting this. Abby was just pitiful looking. Yes, the comments are stupid!! I quit reading them....ignorant people.

Sent my small donation to help out.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You Maine folks batten down the hatches -- I'd read there are bad storms battering the east coast but didn't realise they are still continuing. They sure sound nasty; hope you can stay online.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

ohhhh mannn.... power blinking on and off now....so you may not hear from me in a while but I WILL call and keep calling until I can get some info about Abby. I wrote to my state rep and asked that he get involved in getting our laws changed so this doesn't happen again!

Karin....I didn't know you were from Maine! I cried so hard when Mable died. I am so sorry for your loss. The tribute video you did was amazing....made me cry more buckets. I hope you are doing better and I know you must miss your beautiful Mable so much.

I am still in shock that the local news didn't jump on this story!!!! News here can be rather dull and usually the stations do whatever they can to find something to talk about.

Karlin: thanks so much for everything you do for us & our dogs...you lead the way and hopefully all our cavaliers will be better off because of it. Hope you are feeling better too.
    Lynn

Post Thanks / Like

I just called the bangor humane society and asked about fostering/adopting little Abby. They said they couldn't comment on where she currently is (if she's there or being fostered already), because they don't own her. They put me through to the foster coordinator, who is the only one able to set this up....and she's not in until Thursday! I left a message and I'll keep trying. If the wind and rain let up, I'll go down there and try and see her myself. I'll let you know when I know something.

Lynn, if you are a few hours south of here, you're probably getting hit harder with this storm...hang in there!

Karin

Post Thanks / Like

I called about Abby and the person handling fostering will be out until Thursday the 19th. I left my info and asked her to call me. I will call on Thursday also. I was switched over to voice mail and forgot to make my donation...so I will call back and ask about the Cavalier/poodle mixes as well. Hopefully us Mainers can help these Cavs out.
    Lynn