• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: expenses mount as animals wait appeal

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Cavaliers/cav crosses form part of this group of animals seized in Maine. The shelter may have to hold the cavalier girl another NINE months and health costs are rising -- currently at $45,000 for this small shelter. Please read this article and consider sending a donation, no matter how small:

http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=148654&zoneid=500

Look at the state of this poor girl:

041307_Abby.JPG

The cavalier could possibly be placed with fosters if anyone is active in that area or could contact breed rescue in that area?

PS Don't read the comments on the article or you will despair. :rolleyes:

BTW this is what that girl looks like now:

041307_dogrescue.JPG

Karlin,
I just about fell out of my chair when I saw your post this morning! This is where we live...and I just took out an application to volunteer at this humane society this week....in honor of Mabel's memory. We don't see many cavaliers up in this area, so I was surprised. We were out of town for the weekend so I didn't see this article. Thank you for posting it. According to their website, these dogs are not up for adoption due to the court process, but I believe they can be fostered ( and may already be). I tried to call, but they don't open for several more hours. I'll keep you posted.
Karin

Oh Karin, let us know what you find out! I hope some folks here might consider giving them a little donation to help with expenses.

I'm in SHOCK! It takes someone in Ireland to tell me about what is happening in the state I live in???!!! We watch the news and read online newspapers....I hadn't heard anything about this!!!!!! Thank you Karlin for making us aware of this.

I just tried to call the shelter and they are closed until noon. DH thinks we should try to find out about fostering Abby...but we are 2 hours south of Bangor, and right now we are in a very major storm!!!! (close to hurricane conditions) I will call again at noon, but due to the storm we might not get any answers today.

I just can not believe this happened so close to home AND that I had not heard anything about it!!! I log on almost daily to my local animal shelter site...too bad there wasn't a 'news' section or link at each of the shelter sites keeping us informed about what is happening state wide....

We just elected a really great state rep from our area...I should give him a call and ask him to get some laws changed regarding animal abuse. No one should ever get their animals back if the animals are kept in such squalor and treated so badly.

I won't let this issue go and follow up as Mabel's mom said she would too....but if you don't hear from us for a while, it could be that we've lost power...our cable just went out and I assume the power is next. This storm is really cranking up...I just had to go try to move our canoe that was blown over and almost in the neighbor's yard!!!

Lynn & Karin - good for you in getting active with this! Surely they can use your help.

Karlin - thanks for posting this. Abby was just pitiful looking. Yes, the comments are stupid!! I quit reading them....ignorant people.

Sent my small donation to help out.

You Maine folks batten down the hatches -- I'd read there are bad storms battering the east coast but didn't realise they are still continuing. They sure sound nasty; hope you can stay online.

ohhhh mannn.... power blinking on and off now....so you may not hear from me in a while but I WILL call and keep calling until I can get some info about Abby. I wrote to my state rep and asked that he get involved in getting our laws changed so this doesn't happen again!

Karin....I didn't know you were from Maine! I cried so hard when Mable died. I am so sorry for your loss. The tribute video you did was amazing....made me cry more buckets. I hope you are doing better and I know you must miss your beautiful Mable so much.

I am still in shock that the local news didn't jump on this story!!!! News here can be rather dull and usually the stations do whatever they can to find something to talk about.

Karlin: thanks so much for everything you do for us & our dogs...you lead the way and hopefully all our cavaliers will be better off because of it. Hope you are feeling better too.

I just called the bangor humane society and asked about fostering/adopting little Abby. They said they couldn't comment on where she currently is (if she's there or being fostered already), because they don't own her. They put me through to the foster coordinator, who is the only one able to set this up....and she's not in until Thursday! I left a message and I'll keep trying. If the wind and rain let up, I'll go down there and try and see her myself. I'll let you know when I know something.

Lynn, if you are a few hours south of here, you're probably getting hit harder with this storm...hang in there!

Karin

I called about Abby and the person handling fostering will be out until Thursday the 19th. I left my info and asked her to call me. I will call on Thursday also. I was switched over to voice mail and forgot to make my donation...so I will call back and ask about the Cavalier/poodle mixes as well. Hopefully us Mainers can help these Cavs out.

LOL Karin and I must have been typing at the same time...her post was not there when I started mine! Ohhhh Karin....I sure hope it works out that you can adopt Abby!!!!!!!!!!!! Wouldn't that be amazing? No one will ever replace Mabel, but knowing that Abby needs some TLC and that you are right there... I hope & pray it works out.

Yes, we're still getting pounded down here..... My parents live on the COAST....their deck is over the water on a very high tide.... they are watching the water very closely....and keeping their life jackets close at hand!

For anyone looking to make a donation, here is the address to mail a check. I asked if there was a way to make an online donation, the person answering the phone said 'no'....he said they would mail a receipt, so I will include a SASE too. (too bad they aren't hooked into Paypal!)

Bangor Humane Society
693 Mt. Hope Avenue

Bangor, ME 04401

god i cannot believe that poor dog it is terrible!! By the way guys i hope ye are ok, stay safe

That poor little girl:(

I can't believe that there are people out there who would treat their dogs like this! How can they do it?:mad:

I really hope that Lynn or Karin can get her out and into a loving, nurturing home where she deserves to be loved!

Hang in there ladies! That storm sounds terrifying! We don't get anything like that here on the south coast of Australia thank goodness, i hope it's over really soon!

Good Luck!:)

Hope there's some calm now after the storm. :) Let us know what you hear about this dog, it would be lovely if someone here ends up with her!

I'll call tomorrow when the lady that handles fostering is back in the office. I am hoping that Karin is able to foster / adopt Abby. (wouldn't that be amazing???! Almost like Mabel is arranging this from the Rainbow Bridge*ng*l )

My state rep contacted me back and thankfully he's been working on this issue already...to change animal abuse laws here in our state.

As for the storm, the coast got pounded. There are reports of houses falling into the sea... many bridges and roads being washed away. A woman (I think I know her...I'm waiting to see if it is the same lady when the obituary is published) was swept away & drowned with her 4 year old grand daughter when she tried to (stupidly) cross a flooded road in her car. My parents have been without power since Monday and the power company said they are thinking it will be Saturday before everyone is back online. The good news is that by Friday we should have some sun!! I've been having such a hard time with the pups when they go out to pee.... there are hundreds of fresh new branches & twigs to chew on in our yard...they are so distracted by all of that they wont pee (it's like puppy Christmas out there!!!) ...but remember to pee when we're back in the house! :mad: Plus,the ground is so wet, it's like walking on a sopping wet sponge, and the "good" scents are all gone, which is another reason I am having problems with the pups peeing OUTSIDE. Oh well, such a small problem compared to what is going on in the world around me.

I went to the Bangor Humane Society today to drop off my application to volunteer. I looked all around for Abby and couldn't find her, so I told them I wanted to foster her and would like to see her. But they said no. No one is allowed to see any of those rescued dogs at this time. The person in charge of setting up foster care is back tomorrow...so I'll keep trying. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll let you know what happens.
Karin

Back