• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

News: expenses mount as animals wait appeal

I called the Humane Society to see if I could get any info on Abby the Cavalier. The lady I needed to talk with was out walking dogs, so I left another message. I am hoping that Karin will have good news for us....

On a storm note....Maine's Eagle Cam Eagles lost their eaglets during the storm. :( The eaglets were only a week old and so fragile at that point. I remember last year watching that female eagle protect her babies through the harshest weather.....days on end of freezing rain and snow and wind. But we had near hurricane strength winds here on Monday which took out roads and washed houses into the sea. My parents have a neighbor that tried to secure one of those tarp covered storage buildings by roping his snowmobiles to either side. I think my father said the snowmobiles weigh like 600 pounds each. I guess the snowmobiles were tossed around like they were plastic toys.

Anyway....it's been a tough week all around and I hope and pray that we get some good news from Karin.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about the eaglets. :( This was just an awful storm.

I was just checking in to see if either you or Karin had some news. These people seem overly difficult to reach.

I think eagles will lay another clutch of eggs if they lose their babies so hopefully there will be more eaglets. We're all hoping for cavalier news too! :) Sure sounds like it was a horrendous storm.

I tried to call the volunteer coordinator today and was told she had already left for the day. I've already left a message for her. I asked when she would be in tomorrow and they said early, so I said I would make sure to call early...but then they said they don't answer the phones until noon!! AARRGG. They seem to be making it very hard to be helpful. I'll keep trying. I've had friends call that saw the story in the paper and on the news saying they saw a dog "just like Mabel". I would really like to see her and know that she is ok. Even if we don't get her and she's fostered elswhere, I just want her to be safe and loved.
Karin

Thanks Karin....I agree, it seems like they aren't making it easy to help. But, this is school vacation week, so maybe that is why this coordinator has been hard to reach. ??? Anyway, still have fingers, toes and sometimes eyes crossed for you & Abby. :flwr:

Making it hard to be helpful indeed!! I don't understand these people not immediately getting back to each and every person who contacts them wanting to help. :huh: It's nuts.

I can't believe people can treat their dogs like this. It makes me so angry. That poor little girl. I hope you get her Karin, you deserve each other.

Reminds me of a similar case here in South Australia. A couple were found with 100 dogs on their property in a terrible state. Of the 100, 70 were in such a bad way they had to be put to sleep. The dogs were mostly crosses, aussie sheep dogs, that sort of thing. It was awful. And the owners claimed they were "dog lovers"..disgusting.

I tried to call the volunteer coordinator today and was told she had already left for the day. I've already left a message for her. I asked when she would be in tomorrow and they said early, so I said I would make sure to call early...but then they said they don't answer the phones until noon!! AARRGG. They seem to be making it very hard to be helpful. I'll keep trying. I've had friends call that saw the story in the paper and on the news saying they saw a dog "just like Mabel". I would really like to see her and know that she is ok. Even if we don't get her and she's fostered elswhere, I just want her to be safe and loved.
Karin

Unfortunately, when these dogs are caught up in legal cases they have to be extra careful for all kinds of reasons that might not apply if it was a more "regular" rescue (as if any rescues are "regular"). Hope they do not allow that to prevent them from providing caring environments for the dogs while the legal process works at its usual snail's pace. Hope this works out for you, Karin, but like you I mostly hope the little dog is safe and happy. I could hardly stand to look a the first photo.

I finally got word from the foster coordinator at the humane society. She said Abby is "all set" and in a good environment, that people have been fighting over her for awhile. I'm glad she is doing ok and is safe...but I'm a little disappointed. I've been missing Mabel and was starting to look forward to some of those precious cavalier nose licks. At least I know I tried to help Abby.
Karin

You guys really did great work to raise awareness and help out with these dogs. Sometimes a match isn;t to be.... but sounds like maybe you want to let breed rescue and Lucky Star know you might be looking for a new fuzzball, Karin? :)

Ahhhhhh Good news & 'bad' news, huh? I'm so happy that Abby has a home for now, but sad that she's not with you Karin. Perhaps your 'Abby' will find you soon. I hope.

I missed the phone call today from the Bangor Humane Society...! My daughter hasn't been home for a week and knew nothing about Abby took the call and the woman said she would mail me an application to foster.

The sun came out today....that is really BIG news around here. What a truly lovely day we had here. Finally, I have hope regarding the crazy weather we've been having.

Back