• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Changing foods- How often is too often?

Gracie's Mommy

I'm stopping by the vet (they also run a pet supply store) today to pick up a new bag of food for Gracie as the old one is about out. Trying to decide if I'm sticking with the same stuff or make a switch. Right now she's on Wellness SuperMix 5 Chicken. She's had that for a couple months and it seems to be working fine. She was on Nutro before that and we love the Wellness SO much better! I was thinking about switching to either the SuperMix 5 Lamb or Sweet Potato & Fish, both Wellness. She's been on the Chicken for a couple months...is it ok to switch proteins like that? Would I be better off to just switch to lamb or go for the sweet potato? So far, she's had mostly chicken as a protein and I don't want to encourage any intolerances, so I'd like to switch proteins for awhile. I'm also very interested in the Omega fatty acids in the Sweet Potato & Fish.

Hubby is concerned, as I would have been before spending so much time on this board, that I'm changing foods too often. I know that it's best to not keep her on the same food all the time, but how much is too much to change?

She gets dry kibble in the morning and kibble mixed with frozen veggies and pumpkin at night

Lindsay I think it depends upon your dog. If you have a picky eater, one with allergies or tummy upsets it probably is best not to keep switching around. However, if none of the above apply then personally I don't think it matters. When I was feeding my guys primarily kibble, I'd often have 3 or 4 different products in the cupboard & I'd give them something different each day. It always worried me that the chemicals in one particular product could build up & cause problems. That fear may have been unfounded, but it was what drove me to not keep feeding the same stuff week in & week out.

Thanks Caraline!

I talked to the vet tech this afternoon. He said that given her age, he would recommend staying with the same protein, but switching brands. In the end, we decided to stay with the same brand for another bank and then switching to another chicken food. I guess I shouldn't be in a hurry since we all like the Wellness...

Back