• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Think it's time to let him go...

Hi. We've decided to let him go :(

It has been a tough decision, but he has so many things wrong with him and the vet was pretty adamant that he was in pain. The swelling in his leg has not gone down, and that's apparently being caused by his tumour blocking the blood flow. He also has a very sore bum and has had loose stools for about 3 weeks - again probably due to the tumour. Last week was pretty bad - he would just stand staring into space, probably because he couldn't get comfy. It's been tricky because this week he has seemed better. Last week he wouldn't go for walks, but this week he been enjoying a little stroll. But... we've decided the facts are there - he has a tumour in his abdomen that the vet is convinced is causing him a lot of pain, he has a swelled leg which must also be uncomfortable, and he has a very sore bum which is not getting better. Also, the tumour is not going to get any smaller by itself, and he is too old and poorly to think about treating it.

He's just such a little sweetie. Will be so odd without him. The vet is going to come round here to do it. Up to now, I have been adamant that I don't want to be here (my partner will be). But now I'm starting to think maybe I should be here with him when he goes. I don't want to regret not being there for him.

Sorry, long post. Very sad,
Paula x

:( :hug:'s to you Paula. I am so so sorry that the time has come. I dont think that you can ever really prepare yourself for that feeling.

You're all in my thoughts. Take care :hug:

Pepsi, really sorry to hear that but at least he had a good long life with people that truly care for him!

I'm sorry to hear that Pepsi. Sounds like you are doing the best thing for Charlie. If you can bring yourself to stay with him I don't think you will regret it. It's a very peaceful way for Charlie to go.

I'll be thinking of you.

:hug:

I cant imagine ever having to make that decision.
Its something that really played on mind before getting Marlon and something I just cant come to terms with.

Think of all the joy he gave you over the years.
My thoughts are with you and your beautiful Cav.

:hug: I'm so sorry as I know this is a very painful time for you. My heart breaks for you. :hug:

Paula
So sorry that Charlies's time has come - you are doing the right thing for him - my thoughts are with you at this sad time.

I'm so sorry, Paula, but it is the right decision. Letting them go is a special thing we can do for our pets, which is not allowed for fellow humans.

Don't feel guilty about being there. I'm the same. A way round this is deep sedation and say your goodbyes as he falls asleep; then leave the room. (i've done this in the past).

oh (((( Paula ))))

this is so heartbreaking for you. Remember that we all know what you're going through and will be thinking of you today and in the coming days.

You're very brave. Take care.

xxx

:( Oh Pepsi, I am so sorry that you have to make this decision, but it really is the right one. You have explored every option, and given Charlie the absolute best 14 years that a cavalier could have. Don't be scared about being there, it is very peaceful and it like they are falling into a sweet dream. He'll be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge. Good luck sweetie.

oh I am so sorry *HUGZ*

Please accept my deepest sympathy and condolances at this tough time. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

What a peaceful way for Charlie to go, in his own home with the people who love him most. My thoughts and prayers are with you today and the days to come.

So sorry to hear this Paula, but you're doing the right thing for Charlie.

It's good that he's in his home, surrounded by those who love him.

We're thinking of you.:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

I am so sorry you are going through this. My heart goes out to you, it is never easy. I will be thinking of you and Charlie.:hug:

Pepsi...so sorry to hear that your having to make this difficult decision. Wishing you peace and comfort in your many memories with Charlie! :hug:

Back