• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How much to feed 6 month old?

DaveD

Holly is 6 months old now. The vet had recommended she gets 100-120g of food per day spread out over morning afternoon and evening while she was a young puppy.

Should she still be getting fed 3 times a day now ?

I'd move him to just 2 meals a day at this stage. Are you feeding kibble or home prepared? If it is kibble you are feeding then you can use the feeding suggestions on the back of the packet as a guideline. I think the dog food companies do tend to over-state how much you should feed, but they should be in the ballpark.

Is that Hill's Science Diet? If so there should be a feeding guide on the packet. They usually have a table with weight & age and then a recommended quantity per day. But yeah, at 6 months, 2 feeds per day should be all that she needs.

definitely on two meals a day by now -- you can move them to two meals by around 4-6 months of age. Some dogs really only are interested in a single meal -- you can go by what your dog seems to want.

Amounts vary depending on how much exercise a dog gets, its metabolism, if it going through a growth spurt. Most puppies need about 3/4ths to one cup of food over the day but remember to subtract extra treats from this amount! Weights (grams) of food vary depending on the manufacturer.

Hills is actually not a great food -- it is very expensive for a food with so-so ingredients, a lot of filler, and a lot of additives and always comes out fairly low on evaluation by nutritionists (whatever vets say... they like to sell it as it is good added income for their practice :lol:). It isn't the worst food and much better than supermarket brands but you can do better for the price. I think either James Wellbeloved, Burns, or Royal Canin offer a better quality option at the same or a better price. Also I'd opt for adultfood at this point, not puppy food, if you are still feeding that.

For more on how much to feed and what to look for in ingredients:

www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

Back