• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ollie's experience with a kid!

cavalicious

Hi everyone :)

Just thought I'd tell you how Ollie went yesterday, with a whole hour and a half, with a six year old boy (Jango)!

His been around kids before, mostly at puppy school, but has never really been handled by them, just pats and cuddles! ;)

So Jango came over with his mother because she's friends with my parents. The minute he saw Ollie he was baby talking to him and patting him and cuddling him all over! Ollie was licking his ears and cheeks and Jango liked it so much he snuggled up to him just to get more licks. I was so proud of Ollie as he never pulled out his chompers, except on me when I was playing tug with him :rolleyes:

So Jango was really interested in lifting Ollie up so he tried lots of times but Ollie kept slipping away. Once he even got a big squeel out of him! I showed him how to do it properly but I think his little hands and arms couldn't quite manage it. Ollie went along with it... being carred around like a little doll. After a while he had quite a fed up face :neutral: but he played along!

I was so proud of my little boy, being so well behaved around this little boy! Just had to share :D

Aaah. My little Maddy will be meeting our grandchildren ages 5 and 6 for the first time next week. I hope she does as well.
Pam

What a sweet little boy Ollie is :luv:

When little children come to visit our puppies, I always get the child to sit down to cuddle the dogs. It is just that it can be difficult for little hands & little arms to hold a squirming puppy & a drop, even from only a few feet up can result in a broken bone. I know it probably sounds a bit mean, but I just won't let children carry my dogs around.

I'm sure Maddy will do finely, Pam! :D

Thanks Caraline, I think your rules are very smart, and not mean at all! Little Jango was only lifting Ollie up from next to the couch, to the couch, so I wasn't too worried :)

ollie is a real charmer and he has manners good on u emily, my nephew calls all the time and he is 2 yrs old and freddie sits when he comes in cos conor tells them to sit and stop it is so funny!!

Pam - maddy is a lady she will be fine, good luck with her meeting ur grandchildren

What a good mum you are to Ollie!!! You have taught him well Emily!

At Puppy Class there is a 5 year old girl named Martina that comes with her mom and their Cavalier (!!! We were sooooooooooo surprised to have another Cavalier in our class of 6!! Especially since Cavs are not at all common around here.) Anyway, Martina is so gentle with Molly. She just seems to love Molly so much and always wants to snuggle her and wrap her little arms around Molly all the time. Molly seems to understand that she needs to be extra gentle with Martina. I'm not sure that it was anything we taught Molly...I do think it is something she instinctively knew. It's so cute seeing children and puppies together....

Thanks so much for sharing the story with us!!!!

Ollie is a great puppy. No surprise with a wonderful mother like you teaching him. My youngest nieces are 3, 5, and two 6.5 yr olds. Of the four only Elizabeth does not have to be watched closely with Tucker. The other three want to pick him up and squeeze him because they love him so much and Tucker does not enjoy it. So when I have the entire family over I had to institute a rule of no picking up Tucker.

Back