• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gracie's spay tomorrow...

Gracie's Mommy

Gracie's spay is set for tomorrow. Hubby is taking her in the morning; I'm picking her tomorrow afternoon. It's probably best that way, because I might get a bit emotional if I dropped her off. I know she'll be fine, though.

I talked to the vet tech about the surgery in some detail yesterday. He was very helpful and made me feel much better! I'm glad that she'll get to come home with us tomorrow night, though! We can help each other out since it'll just be me tomorrow night as hubby is out of town on business...

So, I think we're all set. She's had dinner tonight and I'm about to pull up the water until tomorrow night. No breakfast in the morning. I have a few onesies ready to go.

Question on that...should I have the vet put the onesie on her after the surgery? I'm a little concerned about putting it on her after the surgery when she gets home?

Please keep her in your thoughts tomorrow...and I'll post an update (or two :p ) tomorrow night! Thanks for all of the help and support...I've read so many of the spay threads and they've been SO helpful!

Awwww, this is probably going to be tougher on mummy than on Gracie. I'm sure it will all go well, but that doesn't stop us from fretting does it. :hug:

I have absolutely NO doubt about that Caraline! The vet tech asked if she was getting nervous about her surgery! I said, "I don't think she has a clue, but I definitely am!" ;) He just laughed. He said a lot of things that made me a lot more comfortable. I'll just be glad tomorrow night when she's home!

Sweet Gracie, We send our best wishes for a speedy recovery:luv: ...Katy goes next Tuesday:( ...let her know what to expect!

Nancy
Teddy and sweet, little Katydid

Harly&Carley and nlg, thanks so much!

Andy dropped her off this morning and said that she didn't even seem scared. That made me feel better! We left a toy with her and the onesie. They're going to put it on her after surgery. That just seemed to make more sense than trying to put it on her after we got home and the pain killers were starting to wear off.

We left a toy with her and the onesie. They're going to put it on her after surgery. That just seemed to make more sense than trying to put it on her after we got home and the pain killers were starting to wear off.

Smart thinking! :) Well, once you get her home & all snuggled up, let us know how she went.

Will be thinking of Gracie tommorow and you.

Try not to worry, I know it is easier said than done but believe me we worry and everything is always fine. They will most likely send her home with medication.:flwr: :flwr: :flwr:

Thanks NatalieandMike, Linda and Caraline for checking up on us!

Gracie is doing as well as could be expected...and, honestly, better than I expected given her reaction to puppy shots (bit of a drama queen here :rolleyes:). She is just hanging out in her crate. She whines some and makes this low groaning noises, but not constantly. Mostly she just sleeps.

They also cut her nails very short for us (we're still struggling with this) and microchipped her. I feel much, much better now that she's chipped!

I want to hold her, but know that she's wants to be in her crate and is better off there right now. I'm just hanging out on the couch next to her and petting her when she seems to be in pain.

The vet said a little water tonight and half her food tomorrow. No daycare until after the stitches are removed. I expected the latter and probably wouldn't have felt comfortable with that anyway, but at least now we know for sure.

Thanks for all your well wishes for her! I'll post pics of her in her onesies later...when she's venturing out of the crate a bit more.

Happy to know that Gracie is doing well!! Ruby is getting spayed next week, so I'm of course very nervous. Please keep us posted on her progress!!!

Aww, I am so glad you have her home. The world is never quite right, sort of spinning a little off it's axis when our fur baby are not at home. Sleep is her best medicine right now & the lag from her anaesthetic her best friend. Zzzzzzz. She will soon be her boppy little self & you'll be getting all worried wondering how to keep her more quite. :hug:

Gracie doesn't seem to be in a ton of pain today, except when she moves wrong or is picked up wrong. The incision does actually seem to be a bit more tender today than yesterday.

She does seem depressed/despondent, though. The vet said that she may be depressed for a few days while her hormones readjust, so I guess that's what it is. She pretty much just wanted to be in her crate last night...today she was a bit more up and about, but she just kind of stands and watches everything. She doesn't feel the need to be right next to you or follow you from room to room...which is VERY not like Gracie! I guess laying down must hurt her incision, because she seems to prefer standing. She's not in a lot of pain, which is very good, but she's definitely not herself either.

I took a half day off work to be with her this morning, but am at work now. Andy will get off by 3-4...I think she might like it if he sat outside in the sun with her. The weather is great and everytime we'd go out to potty, she'd just stand in the sun!

So, all in all, she's getting along just as the vet described...just not easy to watch her in some pain and not herself.

Aww I'm glad to hear Gracie is doing well, Lindsay!!

I'll probably be coming to you for advice whenever we end up getting Fiona spayed now...it'll be a few more months. I hope you're both well! Fiona sends Gracie a get well soon puppy kiss!:D

She does seem depressed/despondent, though. The vet said that she may be depressed for a few days while her hormones readjust, so I guess that's what it is.

Another thing that doctors & vets often forget to tell their patients is that it is very common to feel a little down after an anaesthetic, even if no surgery is performed. This depression can last as long as a week. When you come out of an anaesthetic, some of the chemical is still stored in fat tissue and takes some days to completely dissipate.

Donna-- Gracie's started to give puppy kisses again, so she sends a return thank you Fiona's way!

Caraline-- Thanks for mentioning that. It makes perfect sense, but never would have thought of it!

New question...she's having trouble with bowel movements. More precisely, she's eaten twice today (2 half meals) and defintely has to go, but it seems to hurt her to squat and go. This makes logical sense to me due to the placement of the incision and the fact that she's still quite tender in that region...but, the vet didn't mention it, so I'm wondering if others have had this experience. We will be calling the vet in the morning...feel bad about continuing to feed her if she can't "get rid of it," so to speak...So, does this seem normal/expected?

How is Gracie doing? Lily is going in tomorrow and I am dreading seeing my little baby in pain. I hope Gracie is feeling much better.

Shay...thanks for asking! Looks like we cross posted! She's much more active, the bm issue above is really the only concerning thing. She's still not herself, but is definitely moving in the right direction...I think I'm just too impatient! She did just have surgery for goodness sake...of course she wouldn't be herself! Silly Mommy!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Hope everything goes well for Lily tomorrow! We'll be thinking of her!

Hi Lindsay...It does make sense that it would be painful for them to poop. I will definitely ask the Vet tomorrow, thanks for posting that. Do you have steps to go down when you take her out? I am concerned about how I am going to get her down the steps. I am afraid to carry her down all those steps because I need to hold on or we both could fall.

Back