• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppias and SM

Molly's mom

I bought Molly a puppia to wear after she recovered from surgery with the thought that while i'm at work it would be a great harness to keep on her all the time and it would just be a matter of putting a quick lead on her to go outside.

For any of you who have an SM dog, does the puppia cause your dog to scratch?

Thanks in advance..:thnku:

Bev,

I don't think Spencer's Puppias don't cause him to scratch any more than he normally does. But I do worry about whether me putting it on and taking it off several times a day causes him discomfort. I tend to put him more in the step in harnesses than his Puppia but I still ordered him one of the cute new spring ones. A few peoples suggested getting one size bigger so that the next opening is larger and less likely to cause pressure when taken off.

Whitney

I use Puppias for Leo. he wears a medium at 14.5 lbs and that is plenty large. However I am careful easing it over his head as he can yelp if it comes off in a way that catches slightly or pulls at his ears (this would not even be noticed by a normal dog). I do like the jacket-style Puppias for SM dogs as they seem even more comfortable for them and don't need to be pulled over the head. I wouldn't get an oversized regular style Puppia, juyt get the size of the regular Puppia that fits. I think many cavaliers are a bit too big for mediums though (any dog over about 17-18 lbs begins to look kind of tight in them I think) and in that case I'd move up to a large.

I know this has been discussed in the past, but in addition to gabapentin, what other medications seem to help with scratching? With Molly's pain set back, she wasn't scratching so it's almost as if I had forgotten what it was like. I was fully aware that this one symptom would likely not go away, but.....I was naively hoping that it would. Of course I am just thrilled that she is better.:)

Molly is on gabapentin 100mg 3X a day and I don't see it having any effect. Rory's mom mentioned lasix in addition to gabapentin. Does Spencer or Leo take lasix for scratching?

I've added Tagamet/cimetidine to his gabapentin regiment. I'm giving him 100 mg of cimetidine every eight hours. He gets 200mg of gabapentin every 12 hours. His scratching has definitely improved with the combination but he does still scratch. I've thought about adding lasix but Dr. McDonnell said it may not help since Spencer doesn't have any syrinexs. Jen had Abbey on both gabapentin and lasix and hopefully she'll respond to your post.

I thought the Puppia would be be better so I recently purchased one for Friday. It causes her to scratch more than her harness does. She rarely wears it because of the intense scratching with it. I don't have Friday in any harness except when on a lead because they bother her so much. Her chest area is very sensitive. I've tried several different harnesses and all cause her to scratch. I'm concerned with her not wearing tags but I really don't have a choice. At least she's microchipped.

Friday is on Gabapentin 200 mg 3 times a day plus lasix 2 times a day. She does still scratch but only has a yelping espisode every other day. She used to have them several times a day. She has tramadol ( a pain killer) as needed. She probably gets that once a week when she's having a bad day. I'm going to add in Tagamet and the doctor said to try it along with her other meds. Friday has a severe case of SM and several large syrinxes. Does any have their dogs on lasix and tagamet at the same time?

I think Nicki has at least one of her dogs on Tagaemt and Lasix, but at much lower doses than noted above -- what we use is a recipe to take a 200mg tablet, dissolve in 3 Tbsp water, and then give .9ml (just a hair under 1/8th teaspoon) once a day.

But I have doubled that amount and do think it helps Leo's scratching. He was on Lasix and gabapentin but Lasix on its own didn't seem to help and lasix with gabapentin didn't offer any difference from gabapentin on its own (for a long time Leo didn't scratch at all on the lead with gabapentin, bu recently has started air scratching and bunny hopping. :().

I would be inclined to try Lasix on a dog without syrinxes as this is actually what Clare Rusbridge recommends -- she sees more results with Lasix alone on no-syrinx dogs than with gabapentin, I believe.

I dropped Lasix because the side effects were a pain with Leo -- occasional incontinence and having to remember to walk him an hour after every pill. Tagamet does basically the same thing and does give him some relief.

I am interested in seeing what other neurologists are recommending for tagamet as the dissolved amount is such a tiny dose! One 2-00mg pill would last a couple of weeks on a once-daily dose!

Like people, dogs all react differently to drugs and also, are sensitive in different places. I know Clare has said she knows of many dogs who won't tolerate a harness but can be walked on a collar, though generally collars semm to irritate the majority of dogs and some neurologists feel they can pssoibly contribute to syrinx development if the dog pulls on its collar. It is really strange. It might be worth trying the jacket harness with a sensitive dog as this lessens the pulling at the chest.

I thought the Puppia would be be better so I recently purchased one for Friday. It causes her to scratch more than her harness does. She rarely wears it because of the intense scratching with it. I don't have Friday in any harness except when on a lead because they bother her so much. Her chest area is very sensitive. I've tried several different harnesses and all cause her to scratch. I'm concerned with her not wearing tags but I really don't have a choice. At least she's microchipped.

I was thinking the same thing. We have a step in harness and a regular type harness but they are a bit "clunky" to keep on all day. Molly has a moderate syrinx which causes tenderness on the left side of her neck.

We are going for a check up next week at Cornell and I want to be up to date on any medication combos that may help with the scratching.

I was thinking the same thing. We have a step in harness and a regular type harness but they are a bit "clunky" to keep on all day. Molly has a moderate syrinx which causes tenderness on the left side of her neck.

We are going for a check up next week at Cornell and I want to be up to date on any medication combos that may help with the scratching.

What type of step-in harness do you use?

I have lots of those step in harnesses, same type model, from petedge.com. I give them to new owners of my rescues. :) I have about every harness model going at this point! :lol:

Debbie,

Spencer's had his Four Preppy Paws harness for over a year and it still looks great. They are soft and durable at the same time.

Whitney

Debbie,

Spencer's had his Four Preppy Paws harness for over a year and it still looks great. They are soft and durable at the same time.

Whitney
Thanks - I think I like the idea better than the puppia - as I have to yank it so much sometimes and it just turns into a battle of the wills :rolleyes: Most harnesses I have seen here are the "V" front, this one looks much better and less of a battle!

Back