Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lily Has To Have A Hysterectomy On Friday

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Lily Has To Have A Hysterectomy On Friday

I am so upset. We got back from vacation today and went to pick up Lily from my Mom's. As I was petting her, I noticed blood on her tail and both back paws. I started checking her out and she had blood coming from her vulva and it was swollen twice it's size. It looked like she was in heat AGAIN ! I asked my Mom if she had noticed and because she does not see well she had not noticed it. We brought her straight to the Vet because she had just had her first cycle about 6 weeks ago. The Vet is concerned because he said it is not normal nor has he seen a puppy go in heat twice in 2 months. He did a pelvic and did not feel anything abnormal and she is not running fever or otherwise acting sick. He said she could have cysts on her ovaries, a tumor, or it could be a false pregnancy that is causing her hormones to be working overtime. He said he needs to do the surgery asap to find out what is going on. He will take out anything that could be there and if anything is, he will send it off to the lab. He scheduled the surgery for Friday morning. She was scheduled to start puppy class tomorrow. We had to cancel her last puppy class because she went in heat the day before. I guess she is not meant to go to puppy class. I think I may go ahead and take her tomorrow, and if everything is o.k. from the surgery, she will probably only have to miss one class which would be next week. He said the stitches will come out Monday after next and she should be fine to go to class the following Thursday if everything is o.k. I know I am rambling, I am just so upset about this. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this with your dogs?
    Last edited by Shay; 19th April 2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.

Post Thanks / Like

Shay,

OMG!! So sorry to hear about Lily! I don't have anything really helpful to add, I guess (i.e., experience with this)...but, I just wanted to say that we'd be thinking about you and Lily. Please let us know how things go tomorrow!

Lindsay
    Last edited by Gracie's Mommy; 19th April 2007 at 02:41 AM.
    Lindsay, Andy and Gracie (our 11 month old Blenheim bundle of joy!)

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Shay! I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I have no words of wisdom...just my warm and caring thoughts.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Shay, I am so sorry that you've come home to this.....and poor Lily!

I wish I had some advice but our thoughts and prayers go out to Lily and yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Shay, I'm so sorry to hear that Lily is not well. I'll be thinking of the two of you on Friday, and hoping for nothing but the best outcome.

Extra hugs from Molly
    Molly and Cooper's mom, Bev

Post Thanks / Like

How hard this must be wondering what is going on! But you and your vet are acting to discover it quickly which is good. Hang in and puppy/dog training will always be around to take later or again if you hold off. Hope she is not feeling too bad while waiting till Friday.

Post Thanks / Like

Shay, I'm so sorry about poor Lily!! I'll be thinking about both of you this week....please keep us posted!!
    Jessica, mom to Ruby, 1 yr. old blenheim

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Shay

sweetie I am so sorry that you came home to Lily this way. I can't imagine how scarey it must of been for you.

I will be praying and thinking of both of you on Friday, please keep us posted on how she is doing and what your Vet finds.
    Mom to Daniel, Derrick, David
    Dudley 3 Years Old
    Darby 1 Year Old

Post Thanks / Like

Shay, what a scare for you! At least you aren't going to have to wait too long to find out what's going on, even though the next couple of days will probably feel like an eternity.

Did she have a completely normal/typical first heat cycle before, in terms of the timing of the successive stages? Did the vet see her during that time frame?

Do keep us posted. Will be thinking of you on Friday.
    - Pat

Mom to Pepper, Ruby boy (b. 5/10/05), and Milly, Blenheim girl (b. 3/3/06)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers. My poor baby has really been through it with this heat thing. I just pray it is something minor like a cyst or a false pregnancy or nothing at all. I am really worried though because my Vet said that it is not normal. I will keep you all posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom_of_2_Cavies View Post
    Did she have a completely normal/typical first heat cycle before, in terms of the timing of the successive stages? Did the vet see her during that time frame?
    Hi Pat....Yes, she had a completely normal cycle. The first few days the discharge was a straw color, then the next week it was bright red, and then the last week straw color again. All in all it lasted about 3 weeks. I did take her to the Vet about 2 weeks after the discharge stopped because her breasts were still very swollen. He said at that time she could be having a false pregnancy. That has been over a month ago and I have not seen any signs of a false pregnancy. Her breasts did not ever really go down to what I thought they should have though.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.