• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily Has To Have A Hysterectomy On Friday

Shay

I am so upset. We got back from vacation today and went to pick up Lily from my Mom's. As I was petting her, I noticed blood on her tail and both back paws. I started checking her out and she had blood coming from her vulva and it was swollen twice it's size. It looked like she was in heat AGAIN :shock: ! I asked my Mom if she had noticed and because she does not see well she had not noticed it. We brought her straight to the Vet because she had just had her first cycle about 6 weeks ago. The Vet is concerned because he said it is not normal nor has he seen a puppy go in heat twice in 2 months. He did a pelvic and did not feel anything abnormal and she is not running fever or otherwise acting sick. He said she could have cysts on her ovaries, a tumor, or it could be a false pregnancy that is causing her hormones to be working overtime. He said he needs to do the surgery asap to find out what is going on. He will take out anything that could be there and if anything is, he will send it off to the lab. He scheduled the surgery for Friday morning. She was scheduled to start puppy class tomorrow. We had to cancel her last puppy class because she went in heat the day before. I guess she is not meant to go to puppy class. I think I may go ahead and take her tomorrow, and if everything is o.k. from the surgery, she will probably only have to miss one class which would be next week. He said the stitches will come out Monday after next and she should be fine to go to class the following Thursday if everything is o.k. I know I am rambling, I am just so upset about this. Have any of you ever experienced anything like this with your dogs?

Last edited:
Shay,

OMG!! So sorry to hear about Lily! I don't have anything really helpful to add, I guess (i.e., experience with this)...but, I just wanted to say that we'd be thinking about you and Lily. Please let us know how things go tomorrow! :flwr:

Lindsay

Last edited:
Oh Shay! I'm so sorry you are going through all of this. I have no words of wisdom...just my warm and caring thoughts.:hug:

Shay, I am so sorry that you've come home to this.....and poor Lily!

I wish I had some advice but our thoughts and prayers go out to Lily and yourself. :flwr: :flwr:

:shock:

Shay, I'm so sorry to hear that Lily is not well. I'll be thinking of the two of you on Friday, and hoping for nothing but the best outcome.

Extra hugs from Molly :hug:

How hard this must be wondering what is going on! But you and your vet are acting to discover it quickly which is good. Hang in and puppy/dog training will always be around to take later or again if you hold off. Hope she is not feeling too bad while waiting till Friday.

Shay, I'm so sorry about poor Lily!! I'll be thinking about both of you this week....please keep us posted!!

Shay

:hug: :hug: :hug: sweetie I am so sorry that you came home to Lily this way. I can't imagine how scarey it must of been for you.

I will be praying and thinking of both of you on Friday, please keep us posted on how she is doing and what your Vet finds.:flwr: :flwr:

Shay, what a scare for you! At least you aren't going to have to wait too long to find out what's going on, even though the next couple of days will probably feel like an eternity.

Did she have a completely normal/typical first heat cycle before, in terms of the timing of the successive stages? Did the vet see her during that time frame?

Do keep us posted. Will be thinking of you on Friday.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers. My poor baby has really been through it with this heat thing. I just pray it is something minor like a cyst or a false pregnancy or nothing at all. I am really worried though because my Vet said that it is not normal. I will keep you all posted.

Did she have a completely normal/typical first heat cycle before, in terms of the timing of the successive stages? Did the vet see her during that time frame?

Hi Pat....Yes, she had a completely normal cycle. The first few days the discharge was a straw color, then the next week it was bright red, and then the last week straw color again. All in all it lasted about 3 weeks. I did take her to the Vet about 2 weeks after the discharge stopped because her breasts were still very swollen. He said at that time she could be having a false pregnancy. That has been over a month ago and I have not seen any signs of a false pregnancy. Her breasts did not ever really go down to what I thought they should have though.

Shay I'm stunned to read this. I have not been online much in days as I'm dealing with flooded ground water seeping into my basement. I feel awful for Lily and you. I hope she is ok, she's only a baby and to have to go through all this seems so unfair, poor thing. I know how worried you are, she's your baby. Fingers crossed that whatever is causing all this is minor. I know she's in good hands regardless of the outcome on Friday. My thoughts are with you.

Oh my goodnes! I can sure understand your being worried & upset. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it is something minor and that the bottom line will be that Lily just got spayed a little earlier than expected. :hug:

I'm so sorry to hear that, Shay!

I hope little Lily have a quick recovery and the vet doesn't find nothing wrong with her!

Kisses and hugs. (and licks from Lia to Lily)

I am sorry you came home to it but at lest it will be sorted out on Friday
I will be thinking of you and Lucy so please keep us inform
---Aileen and the gang ( Jazzie--Barney--Sam)

Oh Poor Lily and poor you Shay :hug:

No words of wisdom or advice from me I'm afriad, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you.

Hi Shay! So sorry to hear about precious Lily having problems. I will keep both of you in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the vet will find nothing wrong and finally Lily will be spayed and you won't have to worry anymore. ((((hugs))))

When Molly (and Max) were having their surgeries I was an emotional wreck. I went shopping and bought Molly a special sparkling heart charm for her collar. (Max got a more "manly" charm) It's a reminder of how much we love them. I think doing something like that helped me through the stressful day.

Hugs and prayers to you and Lily. It is good that your vet is getting to the bottom of the problem by doing the surgery. It just moves up the timeline some on her spay. Please keep us posted.

Shay I am so sorry to hear that you are having to go through this will little Lily. :( I am sure everything will be ok in the end and you won't have to worry about this problem again at least. Give Lily a big hug and kiss for me and take care yourself. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Back