• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily Has To Have A Hysterectomy On Friday

Thanks everyone! Lily is fine today except for having to wear those dreaded little sanitary panties again that she hates so much. I am going to buy her a couple of baby onsies today so she won't be able to lick her incision. She won't be able to wear the panties after the surgery because it fits right over her tummy where she will be cut. He did say that she will continue to bleed for a few days after the surgery, because she is bleeding now, but it should subside in a few days. I have decided to take her to puppy class today. I think today is mostly an introduction to the class and not too much activity. Wish us luck! I will let you know how she is doing after the surgery tomorrow. Again, thanks for all your well wishes, it really means a lot to me!

Shay, I am so sorry about little lily....We will be in B'ham tonight and through the weekend if you need anything or just want to chat...pm me if needed.

Shay, I think if they thought it was a super emergency, they would have done something right away. There actions seem to point out that it is important-- but not overly. You were planning on spaying her--and they should hopefully be able to tell what went haywire when they get in there. I actually hate the waiting and not knowing.
One more day-- my thoughts will be with you and your baby. sandy

Shay, I am so sorry about little lily....We will be in B'ham tonight and through the weekend if you need anything or just want to chat...pm me if needed.

Thanks Ashley.....Hope your house is coming along as scheduled. I know you can't wait.

Shay, I think if they thought it was a super emergency, they would have done something right away. There actions seem to point out that it is important-- but not overly. You were planning on spaying her--and they should hopefully be able to tell what went haywire when they get in there. I actually hate the waiting and not knowing.
One more day-- my thoughts will be with you and your baby. sandy

Hi Sandy....Have you ever heard of this or have any of your girls experienced anything like this?

All our girls season have been textbook normal. The longest bleeding lasted 20 or so days. No split seasons- no abnormal discharge. If your girl had a short season the first time-- I would have guessed a split season. sandy

All our girls season have been textbook normal. The longest bleeding lasted 20 or so days. No split seasons- no abnormal discharge. If your girl had a short season the first time-- I would have guessed a split season. sandy

Thanks Sandy!

I just googled "split heat" and that sounds exactly like what has happened. The Vet did ask me a lot of questions about her first heat, and he said something like she may not have been in heat the first time, but didn't explain what he meant. He didn't explain it me as a split heat. In fact, he said he had never heard of a dog going in heat back to back like this! He did say her first heat did sound like a normal heat though. When Lily was in heat the first time (?), I never had any dogs in my yard and wondered why. Even when I would have her on a leash with me while I was sitting on my front porch, many people walked by everyday with their dogs and none seemed interested in her at all. It could be they were neutered or all were females, who knows. This does ease my mind and again, thanks to you. I seem to find out more info from the breeders and board members sometimes than the Vets. No slam on the Vets, they just don't always explain things for us lay people. I had never heard of a split heat!

Last edited:
hi shay just wanted to let you know that you and lily will be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow! poor lily that is so much to go through and you must be so worried.

lots of hugs!
k

Shay,I just saw this...good grief! You two have been through a lot. .My best wishes to Lily and you for her surgery. It will go well, I'm sure. Then enjoy some R and R (human AND dog) together, ok? :flwr: -Natalie

Thanks Lindsay! She is out of surgery and I just posted a new thread "Lily is out of surgery" with what the Vet found. Thanks so much for asking about her. I can't wait to pick her up

Back