• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gabapentin + ? = relief

Molly's mom

I'm gathering as many opinons as possible for our upcoming check-up next week at Cornell. :drivecar:

Molly is on 100mg 3X a day for scratching, but I don't know if she is getting maximum relief.

So i'm taking a poll to see what others are using in addition to gabapentin and at what quantities, for scratching and do you think it helps?

:thnku::thnku:

This thread is worth reading:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=16958

Several of us note what we give there.

Really gabapentin is the best for scratching. Many dogs have to stay on it post-surgery for a lifetime. Some give either tagamet or frusemide alongside it, but for many dogs neither of these does much if anything. For some dogs one or the other on its own seems to work, without gabapentin. But frusemide has side-effects -- I find gabapentin the best option.

Also it is important to have a full discussion with your neurologist about any shifts in treatment, of course. (y) Most dogs on gabapentin are only being mildly bothered by scratching -- I'd rather use as few drugs as possible rather than add more for minor degrees of additional relief.

Friday is on gabapentin and furosimide. Starting this week we will be putting her on tagamet as well. The tagamet is a very small dose as Karlin has stated. Friday doesn't seem to have any problems with the furosimide. She can have a dose and not ask to go outside for a few hours!!

Back